• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Is This Ruling Going To Effect Elio Since They Are Following The Telsa Sales Model.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
However with EM stirring the pot at state and federal levels, it may be an opportune time for some movement. :cool:
I've written about this numerous times. The current state of law in Ohio is that Elio will not be able to sell cars in the state. Period.

They are not exempted from the law because they are motorcycles; the law applies to all motorvehicles, and defines motor vehicles as vehicles capable of traveling roads at speeds over 25 miles per hour (thus neatly exempting mopeds). snow machines are exempted, as are farm implements. Otherwise, you're a motor vehicle and the law applies.

The law was changed in 2014 to permit Tesla to have 3 sales locations in the state. However, after that, no other manufacturer and sales outlets for motor vehicles would be authorized.

However, Elio is attempting to get auto cycle legislation passed or which would trump state laws. the bill now languishing in the senate, S667, calls for defining three wheeled enclosed vehicles with automotive engines and steering as auto cycles and authorizes creating a set of regulations and safety standards which are unique to them. The second front has to do with the hearing that was held last week in which you can read about in TTAC. In this case the effort is to overturn the restrictive dealer legislation in place with a more open system, the argument being that the current situation is in restraint of trade and restricts competition. Which it certainly does.

Elio continues to work at this problem. We are allied with Tesla in this effort. But without some change in the law, elios will not be sold in the state of Ohio. I'm expecting to pick up my Elio in Kentucky or in Shreveport. And I just had my motorcycle license plate changed to Elio2, transferring it to my new three wheeler when it arrives. I'm fairly sure that the law will not in fact get changed. But I sure hope I'm wrong!

PS -- when this first came up back in mid-2014, I actually read the entire new law in its entirety. It was a pain, but at least I'm pretty sure of the facts.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

desim

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Don't want to be negative and I really enjoyed filling up today @ 1.56. Made me think of the Elio again, then I saw this article that I posted.

I really hope that the Elio gets built as I think there is a large need for it. Just hope Mr. Elio can get the money!!!!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMPORTANT UPDATE. This ban is not something to worry about at the present!

I did hear back from Joel Sheltrown. This proposed rule change has been hanging around since 2013. It's identified as a low-priority issue, which means it may NEVER go anywhere. Additionally, the proposed change deals with side-by-side seating, and so does not apply to the Elio. They're after the cheap imported trikes (and some expensive domestic ones) that don't offer any protections. They're side-by-siders, and not in the same basket as our trike.

Joel suggests there is no need to take any action at all until and unless hearings on this measure are actually scheduled. So we can all relax and let the GreenCar people spew their emissions!

Top Bottom