• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jebar's 2015 Nascar Thread

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It is unfortunate to see any driver hurt and I wish Kyle Busch a speedy recovery. It unfortunately appears that it could take a bit of time to heal from these injuries.

What has me annoyed about this incident is that, despite the fact that Daytona Speedway is in the process of spending nearly half a billion dollars upgrading their facilities, it was not until after this latest high profile driver injury that it was decided to install the SAFER walls everywhere at Daytona. If the decision was that easy to make my question is why did they wait until after someone was injured to make the decision? This unfortunately reminds me of the old NASCAR attitude towards driver safety which I was hoping had changed since Dale Sr died in 2001.

I understand that auto racing is an inherently dangerous activity and as such there is no realistic way to make the sport 100% safe. However NASCAR also knows that their drivers are the most marketable aspect of the sport and as such nearly all branding is done around the drivers so it should be well worth their while to make every reasonable effort to keep drivers safe. Over the past 15 years one of the biggest safety innovations in NASCAR has been the use of the SAFER barrier (Steel and Foam Energy Reduction) or 'soft wall' which has been well proven in the real world to save lives and prevent injury. The drivers have been calling for soft wall installation everywhere it is safe and reasonably feasible to do so for several years now yet NASCAR and the track owners have resisted these efforts. I hope that such a high profile injury on the eve of NASCAR's biggest race of the season proves to be a wake up call that pushes NASCAR to work closer with the tracks to address this issue.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bubba drives for Roush (Ford) and I don't see them or Ford letting him drive a Chevy
I was still thinking back to last year. Cobwebs are hard to get rid of sometimes...

Nearly last call for anyone else that wants to make picks. 12:15 ish green flag.

In the words of Darrell Waltrip, "Boogity Boogity Boogity! Let's Go Racin Boys!"

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"This unfortunately reminds me of the old NASCAR attitude towards driver safety which I was hoping had changed since Dale Sr died in 2001". G1quote.

Unfortunately, Hector, Nascar pretty much only responds when their feet are held to the fire. History has shown that it's all about the France's and their decendants/friends/inlaws etc. If it sells they respond, if not there is a deafening silence.
The day Sr. died we waited, and waited, and waited for some word from them, standing around campfires in the infield, listening to the news on MRN. Their announcement never came, just silence inside the track.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here we are at the first pitstop under green and Carl Edwards beats Gordon out of the pits and then gets assessed a penalty for speeding. With Kenseth's car damaged and Kyle Busch out of the race it doesn't look like a good day for Joe Gibbs racing

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
today my wife and I made our monthly 10+ hr round trip drive to Asheville and back to visit my Mom .... it would have been much cheaper to have driven it in an Elio ..:).. the race ended as we were within sight of the driveway .... we were able to listen to MRN on the radio all across the state and I've come to the conclusion that their programming is designed to mix a little race coverage in with a steady stream of commercials

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
today my wife and I made our monthly 10+ hr round trip drive to Asheville and back to visit my Mom .... it would have been much cheaper to have driven it in an Elio ..:).. the race ended as we were within sight of the driveway .... we were able to listen to MRN on the radio all across the state and I've come to the conclusion that their programming is designed to mix a little race coverage in with a steady stream of commercials
Looks like FORD had the lasting HP today. Once out front nobody had the ability to pass Logano, even with drafting. GO FORD.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
actually the answer is yes .... NASCAR fans have a long, well researched, tendency to support businesses who sponsor NASCAR .... otherwise, spending mega bucks on the sport wouldn't make much sense .... Lowe's sponsorship of the 48 team is reported to have proven to be a major economic plus .... how many folks had heard of Go Daddy before they became sponsors for Danica ..:D
You are right about fans supporting the sponsors, I am a huge fan of the Richard Childress drivers and I will go out of my way to do business with the business that sponsor the RCR drivers. Menard Newman,Dillon, Dillon Scott, Jones and Gaughan. www.rcrracing.com

Top Bottom