• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

L.a. Auto Show 2016

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice information video, but a dramatic fail to follow up on the MPG question. Totally dodged the CG height and reasons for having FWD. Not that I mind. Pivotal questions for three wheelers and racing but trivialized in discussing passenger vehicles.

I do not understand why the public has no feel for what it is that CG affects. Going higher has a pronounced effect in 3wheelers, but even 4's suffer. If the general public understood CG, maybe the trend would not be as 'upwardly mobile' as it is. So I'm pretty tired of explaining it.

I mean, I know people who don't understand, that if you blow a fan into a box with only an entry for the fan flow, no air will actually go in there. The best you get is some turbulence in there. Item 2, a fan does not cool your skin for the most part, it's the interaction with sweat that does. In most conditions, your skin stays dry because your body regulates to exactly what you need. So if you leave that fan on inside a sealed box, it will not be a cooler room when you return from lunch! The best that could have happened is the moister air from our sweat has moved outside and balanced back to outside ambient. Opening a door or something for a few minutes is required to get that out. You know this because people often say, the fan is on, why am I still hot? Fortunately rooms with interior doors are leaky.

Anyway, even though the video isn't technically precise, his answers are the better for common talk, minimalizing details that are difficult to master and restricts people from asking questions that become distracting.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never like when they pronounce it EL-EE-OH. It's EE-LEE-OH, people.
Points Jeff Johnston made:
Analysis - 83 MPG and they are still working to get to 84.

Well, I was going to do a point-by-point analysis before I realized I've already seen it and we've already analyzed it to death. Anyway, it's a decent video but Johnston mis-speaks a few times in there but other than that, it's a good video. (the AMT and the MT versions of the Elio will be produced concurrently though he states otherwise)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never like when they pronounce it EL-EE-OH. It's EE-LEE-OH, people.
Points Jeff Johnston made:
Analysis - 83 MPG and they are still working to get to 84.

Well, I was going to do a point-by-point analysis before I realized I've already seen it and we've already analyzed it to death. Anyway, it's a decent video but Johnston mis-speaks a few times in there but other than that, it's a good video. (the AMT and the MT versions of the Elio will be produced concurrently though he states otherwise)
Ty, didn't Jerome or someone else from EM later say that the 83mpg that Jeff quoted...
Was still only based on a simulation and was not a real-life figure obtained by a real vehicle?

Almost like EM wanted to make sure that no-one got the wrong idea from Jeff's quote?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I will be there on Monday, 11/21.

Questions:
Take a magnet along with you (make sure it's plastic coated, or cloth covered, we don't want scratches) and check the body panels.
Are they steel or composite? And if different; which parts are steel and which ones are composite. We are already sure that the frame is steel.

And is the back seat as ugly as it looks in the pictures, or better in person?

Yes, the gauges are a big question.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
- Jeff Johnson, VP of Engineering- "We were running with SMC, but we changed over to steel."

Another interesting tidbit, he mentioned in the video some info about the suspension. That Roush did the suspension tuning and Peterson springs and Gabriel shocks are the components, looks like both of them are in Michigan so that makes sense.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty, didn't Jerome or someone else from EM later say that the 83mpg that Jeff quoted...
Was still only based on a simulation and was not a real-life figure obtained by a real vehicle?

Almost like EM wanted to make sure that no-one got the wrong idea from Jeff's quote?

This week I asked an executive how they were doing on 84 miles per gallon. I was told in response that's not an issue. no detail.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's good to hear. Though 83 MPG is nothing to sneeze at.
The real problem, if thee is one, is with the city mileage figure. The only way to go after that is to lighten the vehicle, hence the change to steel panels. Whether they're going to make their 49 city, I don't know. If they don't, the only way to get 61 combined is to further improve the highway mpg.

Though as you put it, 83 or 84 is nothing to sneeze at.

Top Bottom