• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

L.a. Auto Show 2016

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't think we ever covered the "new car smell"
Meh. That smell is harder to appreciate by itself if your dad was an automotive plastics engineer, and he reveled in telling people which particular vapor released from all the plastic was responsible for each aspect of the smell, along what those vapors in concentration could do to a person given enough time. He always insisted that the production ideal was to make sure that any new car had as little smell as possible coming from the plastics, sentiment notwithstanding, and that he had smelled enough plastics already, anyway.

He'd get increasingly disgusted and hyperbolic by the end of his delivery, so I'm pretty sure he did it just to mess with people, but it was always a good performance. :)

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you guys notice the engine in the E1c is different from the E1a? For example, the E1a had coil-over-plugs, while the E1c doesn't.
IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_7681.JPG

The E1c's engine looks closer to the one in the P5.

Also, there appears to be a crankcase breather filter(?), and a louvered belly pan beneath the engine compartment.

And what is that black box near the air filter, some kind of electric brake booster?

The new headlights look like the ones on the E1d that went to Red Dot, so it looks like EM has settled on this design. I like it, but I'm wondering how would I know when I'm facing the E1c on the road if the driver intends to make a turn (i.e. without the amber turn signal)?
IMG_7682.JPG

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking the crankcase breather will not stay. I have had classic cars with road draft tubes, but none of my modern cars or bikes vent the crankcase to atmosphere from the factory. My heavily modified Honda Hawk GT ended up with a crankcase breather filter, but that was definitely not factory.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will be there on Monday, 11/21.

Questions:

Are the instruments the same as in the production car, or close to that?

Final design on 1. Windshield wiper 2. Windshield washer reservoir 3. Coolant overflow tank?

How far as this car been driven? How is it different to drive than the P5? (I'm sure it has been driven, but it's fun to watch Jerome wiggle a bit).

If you have a chance, please check the effort to engage / disengage the clutch. That's getting to be a biggie for us old coots. Also check to see how much the trunk prop sticks out into the luggage area (and how flimsy it is). Does the trunk now have a lock?

And maybe you could check on the coil-over plug wire question raised by Floyd V.

Last edited:
Top Bottom