• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Latest Tweeted Photo

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is also a chrome exhaust cover in the options on elio's web page.

image.jpeg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL... Funny. Those cars with chrome gas caps. We'll probably see an Elio like that. It'll have a chrome gas cap, chrome door handles and ridiculous chrome around the windows and that's it. Makes me laugh (and cringe) just thinking about it.
That will be Classic me passing you by...............chrome gas tank lid, chrome exhaust port, chrome door handles and chrome baby moon hub caps. However, no window chrome which even makes me laugh and cringe a little.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just an observation .......Why isn't the rear hatch clear ? Can't be more money and could provide additional rear view .

I think that is a good question. "I think" that would probably require injection molding, like the headlight lenses on most newer vehicles. The biggest "issue" that I see is, after only 3-4 years they get hazy and crazy (ie: "crazing"). The "haze" (oxidation) can be buffed or polished out..."if" it is only on the outside. The "crazing" however, is not repairable, as it is a result of the plastic (polycarbonate) shrinking (tiny cracking) from age and UV exposure.

Last edited:

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that is a good question. "I think" that would probably require injection molding, like the headlight lenses on most newer vehicles. The biggest "issue" that I see is, after only 3-4 years they get hazy and crazy (ie: "crazing"). The "haze" (oxidation) can be buffed or polished out..."if" it is only on the outside. The "crazing" however, is not repairable, as it is a result of the plastic (polycarbonate) shrinking (tiny cracking) from age and UV exposure.
I'll add to your list of possible reasons why it's not clear: crazy, hazy, and lazy! :p

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other than letting light in, a transparent rear hatch would not seem much good. No real good place to mount a mirror that would give you a usable view from the window, definitely not if you had a passenger. Like on a motorcycle, since the vehicle is so narrow the side mirrors should be able to give a pretty good view of what is behind you as well, and a rearview camera for backing up in parking lots.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Other than letting light in, a transparent rear hatch would not seem much good. No real good place to mount a mirror that would give you a usable view from the window, definitely not if you had a passenger. Like on a motorcycle, since the vehicle is so narrow the side mirrors should be able to give a pretty good view of what is behind you as well, and a rearview camera for backing up in parking lots.
Yes, as a motorcycle a centered mirror isn't necessary and won't work, and yes again if you haven't sat in one the sides do it all, and yes if you've ever driven a M C then you KNOW the side mirrors work.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
One other thing to consider on a back glass; it will allow people to see the only storage area you have; and over time the sun exposure will discolor the plastic and material in that back area.
It's worth having for a limited use (like a car show, or shine & drive) but for day to day use, not really that practical.

Top Bottom