• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Little News From Tesla

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The charging system the EU has agreed upon will be used by many other manufactures besides Jaguar and it charges with the whole 100% rate (until it reaches 80%) unlike the Tesla that diminishes the rate as the battery gets charged.
This is a conceptual error. The charging system used to deliver the current, whether it be Supercharger, CCS, CHADEMO, or that CCS variant used in China, has nothing to do with the charge taper rate. The charging system does one thing: Deliver power. That's it. This article on Seeking Alpha conflates some conceptual errors with charging systems and turns them into some kind of non-existent advantage.

The taper rate of the charge is a function of the car's charging controller and the battery design/chemistry. (I don't know a lot about Tesla's battery chemistry, other than that I know that they use lots of smaller round cells, like AA-sized batteries, but about 30% bigger. Chevy uses large flat packs manufactured by LG for their batteries.) The car's charging controller sets the charge rate using several factors, including temperature and SoC. This has absolutely nothing to do with whether the physical charging connector is SC, CCS, or CHADEMO.

The new Jaguar may be able to charge faster than a Tesla, I have no idea, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with CCS vs. SC.

Edit: FWIW my Chevy Bolt uses a CCS charger, and also has a somewhat steep charge taper. But I charge at home, so that really doesn't matter to me.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Think of it like a phone charger. I have a 6 gang USB charger that cranks out 60W yet my iPhone can't take that type of charge, thus it doesn't charge any faster because the phone regulates that. What it does do is allow me to plug in 6 different items and have them all charge without each one of them taking a hit.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla Model 3 Charges 125 miles in 15 minutes @ a speed of 116kW!
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr..._campaign=ed82&utm_content=iss12#post-2540001
Reading that whole post was like reading a post with people that own VW TDI's. They all got different calculations and ranges as to what they can do. All I can say is that will happen here in a year when everyone is driving their Elios. One guy will report 95mpg and someone else will report 78. One guy will be able to go 900 miles on a tank and another will only make it 700. I just hope they make a separate section for the hypermilers here because they come out of the woodwork and try to convince that what they do is "real world".

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone watch the TESLA in the rocket launch a short time ago?

It was AWSOME!.
It was big, it was powerful and it carried a red Tesla that will go around the sun for years and years until it eventually gets close enough to burn! Now ain't that a waste?? This rocket will be followed by an even more advance, more powerful one called BFR (BIG. F-----G. ROCKET.) which will hopefully carry humans to Mars...but only to the select few billionaires who can afford the fare....one way!:D:D:D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone watch the TESLA in the rocket launch a short time ago?

It was AWSOME!.
I did, and you're right, that was a sight, especially the first booster returning and landing, that was fantastic!.
And I wonder if they did have the radio tuned in the car payload to the Bowie song like they said.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elon Musk shot his own personal Tesla Roadster into space today aboard the rocket that is said to be the one destined to launch the first manned mission to Mars. Here's the actual live feed of "Starman" headed in the general direction of Mars. It's been said that the Roadster's radio is blasting David Bowie in it's initial encounter with space. As I understand it, no dummies were harmed in the making of this live feed...

Anyone remember the red Corvette in the movie, "Heavy Metal"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom