• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Little News From Tesla

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I forgot to tune in for the live launch... :oops: I had the feed bookmarked and everything. I watched the recording, and the live feed from the car as it orbited. Amazing view of the earth sliding past the hood of the car.

... now that's something I never thought I'd say, and actually mean it... "...view of the earth sliding past the hood of the car..." :D:D:D

The nearly simultaneous touchdown of the two boosters on the NASA landing pads! Straight out of a science fiction movie.

SpaceX announced that the orbit will be even wider than they thought. They were able to boost the orbit high enough that it will actually make it almost all the way out to the orbit of Ceres! This puts it almost into asteroid mining territory! Hot damn!

I think the United Launch Alliance has a lot of difficult questions to answer about their business. They charge four times as much for half the lift capability of the Falcon Heavy. :mad: And NASA's planned SLS will cost even more, although at least that will have a lift capability that will (maybe) justify the price.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Watched this launch live yesterday, and so glad that many people are again getting interested in space exploration. SpaceX looks to spark the interest that NASA once did. Gotta love Elon Musk's idea to shoot his Roadster into space. "Starman" will be getting some good rays around the sun, but sadly wont be visiting Mars like intended (overshot it), but will fall somewhere between Mars and Jupiter to head off into the asteroid belt.

Its official...Tesla won the Space Race
Tesla-Roadster-Space-3-1132x509.png

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla's competition in Europe looks like it will be catching up in in less than ten years. Competition is good.

Ionity, the new ‘ultra-fast’ joint electric car charging network by BMW, Mercedes, Ford and Volkswagen, is slowly starting to take shape in Europe and now we get to see the map of their planned stations for the first time.

This new network is believed by many to be the most important electric vehicle charging infrastructure effort since Tesla’s Supercharger network.

They are planning 400 stations with a capacity of up to 350 kW across Europe by 2020. They started work on the first 20 stations last year and they plan to hit a total of 100 stations this year.

See whole article here: https://electrek.co/2018/02/06/map-ionity-ultra-fast-charging-network/

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sure, there is a glimmer of truth in most lies, but that doesn't change the reality. I'm only currently discussing the premise of the article, which is bogus. Jaguar has no advantage when utilizing the CCS network in its current form. People seem to forget that all Tesla's have access to the ChAdemo network, as well...provided they purchase an adapter...and they also forget the Tesla Destination charger network when discussing charging.

Shorting the stock is a legitimate investment strategy, unfortunately that hasn't panned out for those doing so with TSLA...apparently shorts lost just over a billion dollars last year...ouch.

As for other manufacturers, they can focus on selling a few thousand BEVs a year...both their lack of access to batteries, and a limited charging network reduces the number they can make/sell. Unless they make investments in both, Tesla will continue to outsell them 10:1. Not the Tesla doesn't need to get their manufacturing act together...

SpaceX is an entirely different company from Tesla. They just share a CEO.
Tesla tapers charging quite a bit, which Jaguar does not. A 30 minute charge is the same on the Jaguar no matter the state of charge of it's battery. At times, the Tesla would charge 70% slower. And THAT is Jaguar's advantage. Tesla has access to the same chargers but their battery tech won't allow for that fast of charging without causing damage.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did, and you're right, that was a sight, especially the first booster returning and landing, that was fantastic!.
And I wonder if they did have the radio tuned in the car payload to the Bowie song like they said.
Well, the first two actually landed successfully. The third (middle one) hit the water at about 300 mph and took out 2 motors from the drone boat.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla tapers charging quite a bit, which Jaguar does not. A 30 minute charge is the same on the Jaguar no matter the state of charge of it's battery. At times, the Tesla would charge 70% slower. And THAT is Jaguar's advantage. Tesla has access to the same chargers but their battery tech won't allow for that fast of charging without causing damage.

Jaguar will absolutely taper their charging, in fact the only information they've given is 45min to 80%...and that's not qualified at all.

Top Bottom