• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Maintenaince / Service Manual

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio is primarily off the shelf parts, a maintenance manual would be ok but a list of what parts are from what would be ok too. I had to keep a list for my 67 valiant to get the right parts for it - 383 motor and trans from a 72 New Yorker, Front brakes + rear end from 71 Duster 340 and many other parts assembled randomly!
This is where the Pepboys website will come in handy, since they are the people responsible to fix the car they would know the parts. So, in theory you could go to their website type in Elio as your vehicle pick and what part you are looking for such as front brakes and it would list parts that fit your vehicle. This is how it works with my current car I don't see why this car would be any different.

The Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA) has a database in place for automakers to submit all this data so all the parts stores know what parts are needed to service whatever vehicle. It does not even cost the automakers anything more than the actual gathering and sorting of the data they need to submit as the auto parts industry pays for the system. I am sure this is what EM will do so you will be able to walk into any parts store and pick up the parts you need.

BillZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As operator's manuals have become larger and more complex, "shop manuals" have become totally unwieldy. My last Suburban's shop manual was about the size of the Yellow Pages. Finding the information you needed took about 15 minutes thumbing through page after flimsy page of cheaply printed photos.

Today, most manuals are on disc or online, making them available and searchable. Besides, you print the page you need and when the job's done, you can wipe your greasy hands on it. No more filthy manuals on your bookshelf!
I'd love to have a CD/DVD of the required maintenance, even if it was an extra purchase.

BillZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would think there will be a section here on this site would cover all user documented repairs
One of the most used advanatages of a site like this is the ability to share information for sourcing parts, answering "what if" questions, and exchanging information as well as modification advice.

So far, everything we have been exchanging is speculative and fun, but really has very little value except to assist in maintain the hype as well as the little bit of sanity we each claim to have a grip upon.

I visit a forum for my motorcycle that provides invaluable information on all trouble shooting and repair issues that seems as if you have dozens of "shade tree mechanics" ready and willing to provide advice on how to resolve almost any issue that you can imagine, as well as become a resource for owners looking for aftermarket ideas as well as part suppliers. It's fantastic.

There are individuals, like Zelio, that are recognized experts on specific topics or the entire vehicle to whom you can turn with any question and receive a concise and authoratative reply. It's is absolutely the best part about forums, in my opinion.

I'm very glad to be here from the beginning and will be looking forward to the evolution of the Elio as well as this forum.

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
While it would be nice to have the service manual be free, I can understand that the company needs to make money. They are trying to provide a great transportation alternative with a goal of being inexpensive but we live in the world of business. I, for one, do not mind paying for the privilege of having a soft-copy of the service manual.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
They should be able to include the owners manual with service intervals out for free, and save the money by having it online only. If you want it in print, you would go to the Elio Motors site, login to your account, and print it yourself.
A service manual is a different animal; I can see them offering a couple of different levels of it; or offer the service manuals in sections and charge accordingly. Like one manual for drive line, another for suspension, and a third that would cover everything else.
Here again, you can do it as an eBook so you can access it anywhere, or print it if you want to make sure you always have a copy.
And just like the eBooks on Amazon, or the Apple Store there would be a charge for it.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They should be able to include the owners manual with service intervals out for free, and save the money by having it online only. If you want it in print, you would go to the Elio Motors site, login to your account, and print it yourself.
A service manual is a different animal; I can see them offering a couple of different levels of it; or offer the service manuals in sections and charge accordingly. Like one manual for drive line, another for suspension, and a third that would cover everything else.
Here again, you can do it as an eBook so you can access it anywhere, or print it if you want to make sure you always have a copy.
And just like the eBooks on Amazon, or the Apple Store there would be a charge for it.

As an added bonus, every update associated with the manual would be automatically included into the online version of them!!

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Most "NEW" service manuals usually do not appear the first year. (probably paper/printed editions)
A compact disc or downloadable version may be available sooner, IF it is assembled/written during the building of the first "100".
The team of engineers/editors that put it together may or may not be in house employed.
Anyway... do not expect it to be free.

Top Bottom