• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The hp/tq numbers may change again after they begin testing a completed engine. The numbers previously provided are estimates based on computer modeling and will vary based on modified parameters. I've not seen the 70hp rating, just the previous 55hp and current 60hp ratings.
The engine will most likely be detuned, as nearly all engines are. Tuning it for more power won't necessarily mean a significant drop in economy. My Saab jumps 50hp/65tq with only a Stage 2 tune, but only loses 1mpg (prob 'cause I've got my heavy foot in it more to yield bigger grins).
The Elio with 80-90hp would be a very fun, spirited ride, and that power level should be attainable with a software tune. (tunes are not cheap - mine was $600 with a handheld tuner so I can install stock, mild Stage 2, and Stage 2 tunes on demand)

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The hp/tq numbers may change again after they begin testing a completed engine. The numbers previously provided are estimates based on computer modeling and will vary based on modified parameters. I've not seen the 70hp rating, just the previous 55hp and current 60hp ratings.
The engine will most likely be detuned, as nearly all engines are. Tuning it for more power won't necessarily mean a significant drop in economy. My Saab jumps 50hp/65tq with only a Stage 2 tune, but only loses 1mpg (prob 'cause I've got my heavy foot in it more to yield bigger grins).
The Elio with 80-90hp would be a very fun, spirited ride, and that power level should be attainable with a software tune. (tunes are not cheap - mine was $600 with a handheld tuner so I can install stock, mild Stage 2, and Stage 2 tunes on demand)
Good stuff, I have a little experience with diesels with bull dogs. If they will list one of those as option,, I'd gladly pay that price.... bye bye warrantee I suppose. Hello smiles.
Go Elio,
JS

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JT- Now we have got to talk more about this! How come you never mentioned about this before? The whole time I've been like preachin' about turbo options and then out of the blue you came up with software tune??? Can you enlighten us more about this process and how much will it cost approximately if applied to Elio's 3 cylinder engine?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Performance level and pricing depends on the tuner. Someone with the knowledge and equipment will need to decode the original tuning map, then create new maps to increase hp/tq. It will take some time for trial & error to develop different levels of performance. I don't think a 50hp increase is in the future for the stock Elio 3cyl, but modest gains will likely be possible. My Saab (actually all Saabs for the last millenia or so) is turbocharged, so larger increases are possible.
A turbo may not be suitable for the IAV engine; I read it will be 'high compression' (in reference to what??) which is not conducive to forced induction (unless you like pistons that spontaneously turn to gravel).
The new Nissan 1.5L 3cyl is a purpose-built, max-effort engine that puts out 400hp, so it is possible to get high power output from micro engines. That engine could be detuned for production vehicles and still produce a reliable, long-life 200hp.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JT- Thanks for that insight. I'm really fine with the way it was originally envisioned. I don't know why I'm so hung up with adding more horses on the Elio when it's all about saving gas! I'll take whatever they deliver so long as this fun vehicle is realized!

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Power steering is about more than assisting the movement of wheels... I have to believe that manual steering will be used to make the price target,, but if power steering is an option when they ask me for my final order,,, it will have to be real expensive for me not to consider it FIRST ON THE OPTIONS LIST.
Go Elio,,
JS
Hey Dave, sorry about that. The vehicle will be manual steering but we are keeping power steering on the potential option list. Thanks for keeping the information correct.

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Power steering is about more than assisting the movement of wheels... I have to believe that manual steering will be used to make the price target,, but if power steering is an option when they ask me for my final order,,, it will have to be real expensive for me not to consider it FIRST ON THE OPTIONS LIST.
Go Elio,,
JS
Well I'm going to post this several places.....I can't find the original thread. I asked the FB page about power steering....their response is that it would have Rack and Pinion steering. I then pointed out that rack and Pinion Can be manual or power steering, this is what I got back today....

Hey Dave, sorry about that. The vehicle will be manual steering but we are keeping power steering on the potential option list. Thanks for keeping the information correct.

Bluechip

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm sure that you will be able to add electric power steering aftermarket when the Elio is out. There are several company's that offer them now and they are simple and work great.
Ditto on the electric power steering. we have installed some on our UTVs and that system would probably work on the elio. it would be a simple option or maybe aftermarket kit. it cost about 600 to add it to a UTV. We even have EPS on some of our cub cadet lawn mowers.

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't feel Power Steering is totally necessary. Only those people with lower upper body strength, would have trouble operating this vehicle. Driving on the streets, or highways, no one should have a problem. As for parking, the Eilo should be a snap to park, because of the single wheel rear. It tracks like a wheelbarrow.
GEDC0125.JPG
Did I mension, it's for sale!
I drove this 1976 Toyota Chinook for 6 years, and never thought about power steering, and it weighs twice as much as the Elio. I am not saying, those that want PS should be denied, just that it should be offered as an option!

Last edited:
Top Bottom