• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Notice the door edge trim does not follow through to the back window. I hope they correct this stuff in the final product. It looks unfinished. Frankly, I am surprised to see it in the prototype.

View attachment 207
That door has been opened and shut for thousands of people trying out the Elio. It has been on tour since January and takes a serious beating at every one of those events. Believe me when I say, the P4 is being put through things no normal car is expected to survive. LOL Of course we will put our Elios through things the P4 would probably cringe at if it were a sentient being. LOL :-) Z

Squier

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Well speaking from many years in the cold North roads. Heated mirrors are A SWEET option. I will pay for it if offered. Hopefully the Elio development team will consider the cost to wire the door for optional connection. PLEASE

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JP,

I'm an avowed Elio skeptic, but these postings of yours are ridiculous nit-pickery of the rotten type. Blind spot mirrors? What? There's hardly any car there to block the rear view. If you just adjust them properly (95% don't, sadly), you'll see all you need to see.

Criticizing door trim pieces on a test mule? REaaaaaalllly?? Window curvature? o_O Oh, my! Who gives a frackity frack!? Does it drive safe and get 49/84, and WILL IT EVER BE PRODUCED??

Geeeezzzzzzz :rolleyes:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We don"t need no stinking electric mirrows, for goodness sake ---roll down the window (which is right by your arms,) exert yourself enough to reach out and manually adjust your mirrow!! (cost remember, that must stay down or this adventure will be another "Tucker" and no one wants that!!!)
You don't need them in Florida but a new member who just joined us lives in Alaska. He not only wants electric mirrors but he wants them heated. I suspect he knows better than we do whether that will make a difference or not. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK...you can have air conditioning, power windows, stereo, and traction control...but the idea of installing a good looking and functional mirror with a little arm intruding into the interior is too costly? Believe me, you want good mirrors on this. 1. You don't have the middle mirror and 2. you will be surrounded by gawkers. 3. Remember, the view out the side mirror is NOT at all like on a normal car. The mirrors are both shifted towards the center of the road by 20" or so...i.e., meaning that your view is already hindered and the blind spot is larger. IMO they should not cheap out on safety features.

I can make the opposing argument that they can save money and weight by eliminating the roll cage and air bags too...but would you want that? I think they should build it better and install good mirrors.
Think prototype - hand built and cobbled together of parts from other vehicles. We have already been told somewhere on here or at an event that larger and better mirrors will be standard. This prototype was built for display purposes not for taking out on the highway. EM seems to have carefully thought of all these issues and is working on getting the best product for the price to meet our needs. I trust them to do that. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mirrors with integrated blind spot glass would be great for the inside part of both mirrors. May be the only way to get decent views to the side and rear.
Have you sat in the Elio? I have and I will admit the mirrors were not an issue I focused on but others have and they said the mirrors gave excellent coverage even though they were small and "cheap". Let's wait for the preproduction vehicle before we get too picky. :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Replace the side mirrors with small cameras and an in cabin video screen. It may be cheaper and reduce drag created by side mirrors increasing mpg by 6-8%. Incorporate a back up camera. Boom! panoramic visibility to the max. Fun to think about.
image.jpg image.jpg

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rickb---This is one of those cases where technology has advanced faster than legality. The law requires rear view mirrors even if you have cameras. Several manufacturers (BMW is one IIRC) are trying to get the law changed but as of right now it's no joy.

Top Bottom