• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V134

gottemfeathers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is it really constructed yet? Sorry, had to go there...

I think the Elio would be the perfect bridge for the battery haters and over all change haters, but it needs to be made now! That window is practically closed.
I don't hate electric vehicles, I just like ICE powered ones better. ICE powered vehicles are simply more practical. Oh, and let's not forget that electric vehicles are charged in great part by coal powered power plants. Not that I have a problem with carbon powered vehicles. I do agree with you that the Elio should be made now.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't hate electric vehicles, I just like ICE powered ones better. ICE powered vehicles are simply more practical. Oh, and let's not forget that electric vehicles are charged in great part by coal powered power plants. Not that I have a problem with carbon powered vehicles. I do agree with you that the Elio should be made now.
I assume if you like ICE better, you have experience with electrics. Perhaps the movement to electric vehicles will be charged by the movement to renewable energy sources over time and we will say goodbye to coal. Developing new tech is good for the economy, jobs, and the environment. We need both for now. I'm eager to give an EV a try. Hopefully, the EV meets my expectations of BEING a MORE PRACTICAL everyday commuter. I would have used the Elio "&" as a supplement to my primary vehicle as well.

My neighbor bought an EV a year ago. He also has 2 I.C.E. vehicles. He said the only problem he has with the electric vehicle is it's all he wants to drive.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I assume if you like ICE better, you have experience with electrics. Perhaps the movement to electric vehicles will be charged by the movement to renewable energy sources over time and we will say goodbye to coal. Developing new tech is good for the economy, jobs, and the environment. We need both for now. I'm eager to give an EV a try. Hopefully, the EV meets my expectations of BEING a MORE PRACTICAL everyday commuter. I would have used the Elio "&" as a supplement to my primary vehicle as well.

My neighbor bought an EV a year ago. He also has 2 I.C.E. vehicles. He said the only problem he has with the electric vehicle is it's all he wants to drive.

Now we are getting into the weeds, but it has to be said. "Renewable" energy isn't very eco friendly:

https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/pros-and-cons-of-renewable-energy.php

http://www.insidesources.com/why-so...not-as-environmentally-friendly-as-you-think/

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/09/renewable-energy-is-not-enough-it-needs-to-be-sustainable/

https://www.google.com/search?newwi...j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1j33i21k1.0.OL-kMnR9F0g

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

My personal reason for wanting to buy and drive an EV has nothing to do with the environment or economics. I don't care how electricity is produced as long as there is plenty during my lifetime. I'm old......you and Sailor Dog will have to deal with problems should they arise, but I'm positive there won't be any issues.

gottemfeathers

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Again, I have no problem with an EV, if that's what you want so be it. I don't have a problem with coal generated electricity either. It's cheap, reliable and the sun doesn't have to be shining or the wind doesn't have to be blowing for it to work. Natural gas and nuclear are also reliable for power generation.

I made my living selling new technology but the stuff I sold wasn't subsidized by the government when someone wanted to buy it.

If all your neighbor wants to drive is the EV, why doesn't he sell his two ICE vehicles & replace them with EVs? Maybe it's because it's not practical to do that.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Financial sense is a moving target. I spend over $3k in gas a year with my old truck, so it would make financial sense. Also consider that the routine maintenance on an ICE is generally more costly than an EV in the first 100K.

The average consumer dose NOT do their own car maintenance so consider these additional issues at 100K miles:

1. Oil changes. The number used to be 3000 miles then 5000. That will be 20 scheduled visits for about $400-$800. The EV... Not
  2. Plugs and wires recommended in the first 100,000. $200. EV... Not
  3. Breaks. At least 2 trips in the first 100,000. Figure $200 per visit so call it $400. The EV regenerative brakes may cut that as well.
  4. When you get to that 100K mark you get that big "recommended" service bill. Timing belts are recommended by 100K miles. Maybe you car has a chain so you could cut that out. Some recommend replacing the water pump. Figure $600- $800 for the timing belt only or $900- $1100 for both....EV Not.
  5. Other possible expenses that the ICE can encounter in the first 100,000 include a catalytic converter and automatic transmission as some of the more expensive possibilities.
Im not saying your wrong by any means, Im just pointing out some of the differences.
65,000 miles on my F350 yet and the brakes still have a LOT of Mike's left on them (original set). Oil changes are every 10,000 miles. ICE maintenance will never be as simple as EV maintenance of course. My only experience with EVs was the original Prius that I bought used... Had to replace battery cells in it twice before finally selling it at a $3200 loss after having it for 2 years. Basically, it cost us $2,100 a year in maintenance (not counting the days tires I put on it). It was a used car but it lost more than 75% of it's value because of the battery. THAT sucked. My new truck, on the other hand, has only cost me 6 oil changes and 3 fuel filter replacements (per guidance) so far. I know it won't be trouble free forever but man, it's been a great 3 years! And I won't be so fast to buy a used EV again.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again, I have no problem with an EV, if that's what you want so be it. I don't have a problem with coal generated electricity either. It's cheap, reliable and the sun doesn't have to be shining or the wind doesn't have to be blowing for it to work. Natural gas and nuclear are also reliable for power generation.

I made my living selling new technology but the stuff I sold wasn't subsidized by the government when someone wanted to buy it.

If all your neighbor wants to drive is the EV, why doesn't he sell his two ICE vehicles & replace them with EVs? Maybe it's because it's not practical to do that.
I think we can all admit that we're all here because we were given the opportunity to buy a ridiculously cheap ride in the form of the ICE powered ELIO. Then it got more exciting when the SOLO, ARCIMOTO and SONDORS got into the mix and priced within reach of those who wants to experience electrified driving. So there you go. The choice are yours, no need to argue which one is better or more practical. People will buy what they want. Me personally, Any one (or two) of these 4 exciting rides fits my needs and will buy it in a heartbeat.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think we can all admit that we're all here because we were given the opportunity to buy a ridiculously cheap ride in the form of the ICE powered ELIO. Then it got more exciting when the SOLO, ARCIMOTO and SONDORS got into the mix and priced within reach of those who wants to experience electrified driving. So there you go. The choice are yours, no need to argue which one is better or more practical. People will buy what they want. Me personally, Any one (or two) of these 4 exciting rides fits my needs and will buy it in a heartbeat.
I agree on the advantage of having 4 exciting affordable fun-ride options. Even the Elio was marketed as an 'and' vehicle and the vast majority of Elio reservationists would use it as an everyday commuter. Range is insignificant beyond the SOLOs, FUVs, and SONDORS 100 smile range well within the distance of the typical daily commute.

Last edited:

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree on the advantage of having 4 exciting affordable fun-ride options. Even the Elio was marketed as an 'and' vehicle and the vast majority of Elio reservationists would use it as an everyday commuter. Range is insignificant beyond the SOLOs, FUVs, and SONDORS 100 smile range well within the distance of the typical daily commute.
Speak for yourself...my commute is a tad longer than that round trip.

Top Bottom