• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V134

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of my bigger concerns for three-wheeler acceptance in general is that some fly-by-night company takes advantage of all the loopholes they can find to make a fast buck selling some cheap death trap, giving three-wheelers in general a bad reputation. As soon as that first fatal accident occurs, and we all know it will, there will be a lot of scrutiny on things. And the more loopholes that are used to get something on the road, the greater pressure there will be for regulation, which is bound to be over-reactive and far too heavy handed.

That is a concern. Elio will have to futureproof their design because it's a matter of time that someone will get killed in a trike and one rule change can kill the trike industry. In addition to that, I seriously doubt that the insurance industry is going to allow something like an Elio to get insured like a motorcycle either. I know that insurance rates have gone up for many slingshot owners once the IIHS got one and tested it. Plus all of the accidents they have been in. With the Elio, they won't have that performance level but will be making it up in miles driven per year and that you can drive them anywhere in the US under any weather conditions. My nephew is an actuary for an insurance company and I talked to him about the Elio. He agrees that since it's just like a car, it would be insured just like one. Maybe not in 2019 but definitely in 2020.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are electronics in both I.C.E. and Electric vehicles to deal with. The good news for me is with the EV is perhaps has simpler electronics, fewer parts and assemblies to fail, and I won't need to get my hands dirty with plugs, filters, oil, coolant, gas...............only wash it off periodically. :)
That's right Rickb, I'm a senior & don't have time for that...just trying to enjoy my second childhood! :D:D:D

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to mention that "fully tested" is a relative term. Especially when these vehicles are not crash tested. That was one of the key points that I loved about EMs plans: Fully crash testing their vehicles prior to sales. Accidents happen. I've been in enough accidents, the vast majority of them through no fault of my own, to know that one day I *will* be in an accident in whatever car I drive. What will happen when one of those cute little Sondors EVs get rear-ended? Will the crumple zones hold up? Or will that fully exposed rear wheel end up getting shoved through your back? Who knows, because, so far as I know, Sondors plans on making full use of the fact that "it's a motorcycle", and not doing any of that testing to make sure that their vehicles are actually, you know, safe to drive.
I totally agree with you Rob. And that's why TRUCKS and FULL SIZE vehicles are still very popular. It's that added feeling of safety being in a bigger, heavier "shell". It's common knowledge that as soon as you pulled out of your garage, you put yourself in motion the wheel of "risk". And the risk of bodily injuries in an accident are quantified by being in a smaller "shell". But with that said, fun vehicles like these upcoming trikes are born for adventurers and none will stop them from trying it out just for the cheap thrill! I'm talking about me only!:D:D:D

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is a concern. Elio will have to futureproof their design because it's a matter of time that someone will get killed in a trike and one rule change can kill the trike industry. In addition to that, I seriously doubt that the insurance industry is going to allow something like an Elio to get insured like a motorcycle either. I know that insurance rates have gone up for many slingshot owners once the IIHS got one and tested it. Plus all of the accidents they have been in. With the Elio, they won't have that performance level but will be making it up in miles driven per year and that you can drive them anywhere in the US under any weather conditions. My nephew is an actuary for an insurance company and I talked to him about the Elio. He agrees that since it's just like a car, it would be insured just like one. Maybe not in 2019 but definitely in 2020.
Just an interesting side note.
In the state of PA, a driver that hits a MC is not the first party liable for personal injury or death damages, no matter whose fault the accident is.
The MC rider is responsible for his/her and his/her passenger's own medical bills and/or funeral costs.

I found this out when I was rear-ended at a stop light.
Even though I flew 15 feet through the air and ended up in the ditch...
I didn't have but a couple of tiny bruises.

But I got my bell rang a bit and told my insurance company that I'd keep an eye on my condition.
That's when my own insurance company told me that the lady on the cell phone that hit me would not be liable for any injuries.

I suppose you could sue for the damages your health insurance would not cover, but it's an uphill climb the way the law is written.

The law makers in PA consider you to be riding completely at your own risk.
Almost like they're punishing you for being out there on a Motorcycle instead of in a car.

FYI, as hard as my head impacted the edge of the asphalt, there's a good chance I wouldn't be here...
Or at least wouldn't be able to type this had I not had a helmet on.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We are both Charter Members of that Club! I nominate you as President. My primary responsibility will be FUNtility.
Hahaha. no president man, we're all equal here! :D And there's only two strict rules you have to abide by to be accepted as a member- first, you've got to be an adventurer, and secondly, you have to be a senior that refuses to grow up! :D:D:D

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just an interesting side note.
In the state of PA, a driver that hits a MC is not the first party liable for personal injury or death damages, no matter whose fault the accident is.
The MC rider is responsible for his/her and his/her passenger's own medical bills and/or funeral costs.

I found this out when I was rear-ended at a stop light.
Even though I flew 15 feet through the air and ended up in the ditch...
I didn't have but a couple of tiny bruises.

But I got my bell rang a bit and told my insurance company that I'd keep an eye on my condition.
That's when my own insurance company told me that the lady on the cell phone that hit me would not be liable for any injuries.

I suppose you could sue for the damages your health insurance would not cover, but it's an uphill climb the way the law is written.

The law makers in PA consider you to be riding completely at your own risk.
Almost like they're punishing you for being out there on a Motorcycle instead of in a car.

FYI, as hard as my head impacted the edge of the asphalt, there's a good chance I wouldn't be here...
Or at least wouldn't be able to type this had I not had a helmet on.
I'm glad you're here!!!!!!! You are a wise man on making the logical choice to wear a helmet.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hahaha. no president man, we're all equal here! :D And there's only two strict rules you have to abide by to be accepted as a member- first, you've got to be a risk taking adventurer, and secondly, you have to be a senior that refuses to grow up! :D:D:D
Can we tweak #1 in the by-laws to simply read adventurer? I don't consider myself a risk taker. :)

Top Bottom