• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's not forget, Vanderhall did the same thing in half the time of Arcimoto. Then didn't do it with selling stock or reservations. Plus, 12 years into their business, Vanderhall sells all over the US and Austrailia with a dealer, parts and service system in place.
……..and T-Rex, Morgan, Slingshot, CanAM Spyder, perhaps a couple others along with kit cars. For the most part these appeal to limited demographics and used as recreational weekend/seasonal rides with minimal driver comfort. I appreciate them all and respect them for making it to production. However, this Old Man is still waiting for that affordable fully enclosed three wheeler (ICE or Pure electric) I can use as a fun daily around town commuter. Perhaps it will be an affordable BEX, if BEX crosses the fully certified model production finish line in a year or 2 with a manufacturing plant equipped, staffed, and ready for mass production, Go BEX!

Note: The Canada based ElectraMeccanica‘s SOLO is apparently close to or has broken ground for a proposed manufacturing plant in the USA.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
……..and T-Rex, Morgan, Slingshot, CanAM Spyder, perhaps a couple others along with kit cars. For the most part these appeal to limited demographics and used as recreational weekend/seasonal rides with minimal driver comfort. I appreciate them all and respect them for making it to production. However, this Old Man is still waiting for that affordable fully enclosed three wheeler (ICE or Pure electric) I can use as a fun daily around town commuter. Perhaps it will be an affordable BEX, if BEX crosses the fully certified model production finish line in a year or 2 with a manufacturing plant equipped, staffed, and ready for mass production, Go BEX!

Note: The Canada based ElectraMeccanica‘s SOLO is apparently close to or has broken ground for a proposed manufacturing plant in the USA.
I've given up on the SOLO. More power to them if they can actually get enough orders to justify building a mass production facility. 3 wheelers are a niche market and it's a noble idea but even a motorcycle can get a passenger unlike the SOLO.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've given up on the SOLO. More power to them if they can actually get enough orders to justify building a mass production facility. 3 wheelers are a niche market and it's a noble idea but even a motorcycle can get a passenger unlike the SOLO.
I agree. Jerry took to long, it’s a single seater, and 2LOW, making it a niche market vehicle. The FUV is a wide market demographic ball game. It’s impressive that all of the above three wheelers mentioned crossed the production finish line. Hoping BEX does too, but I’m to old to see it happen.

Note 2: My favorite concept to date is the Nobe, but now that Lotus is involved with developing/building the production vehicle, it got to be a rich man’s MSRP for a three wheeler. Nobe dash/interior shot: Something for BEX to strive for! :)

1657993492392.jpeg

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With BEX, I’m reminded of following Arcimoto’s 12 year long journey to production of their fully certified FUV.

I need to clarify. A company (Vanderhall) started in 2010 and had a consumer product in 2016. It took them six years to get to production for three wheeler. Arcimoto took twelve years to do the same exact thing. Last time I checked, to get fully certified takes the same effort whether you have a Vanderhall (which is only for the uber rich) or the FUV (which is for the poor). Both are three wheelers designed for people that like to have fun and only for fair weather. One costs $30K the other $18K.

I'm going to guess here. Acrimoto was more concentrated on getting interest and funding as opposed to getting that certification. Thus it was a great excuse as to delay the release. If you never followed any other startup, it sounds good. The government makes you jump through hoops and as to why Arcimoto had to wait even more to release the FUV. Yet, another company, was able to to it and not bring up the delays.

I ask you this, why was it so hard for Arcimoto to get that certification yet for Vanderhall, it was not? Tesla had a six year span for the model S and they had to go through crash testing (which is a massive certification that FUV and Vanderhall never had to do). We know we cannot just go by price alone, so you must have an idea as to the real reason.

Also, how are those full doors coming along? It's been a while since you have delayed your order and Mark really needs to be answering the full door issue. They (Arcimoto) seem to be doing lots of cool things but not addressing a real important detail (full doors). They make half doors ($2,500 option) so it makes that FUV cost a minimum of $20,400. I wonder what the cost of the full doors will be as if it's half, then full should be $5K. That makes it a $22,900 vehicle. Nisan Leaf is $27,400, has full doors, HVAC, Airbags, Infotainment and an better range. I'm starting to wonder if the Arcimoto is overpriced and they need to revisit the $11,900 model (which they have erased from their information and SEC filings).

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On this hot summer day.... it hit me – the BEX Mongrel should cool off pretty fast in hot weather. Smaller interior with vents basically in your face. Heating should be quick as well. Approx 1/2 the interior volume = twice as fast to cool or heat.... I would think.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I need to clarify. A company (Vanderhall) started in 2010 and had a consumer product in 2016. It took them six years to get to production for three wheeler. Arcimoto took twelve years to do the same exact thing. Last time I checked, to get fully certified takes the same effort whether you have a Vanderhall (which is only for the uber rich) or the FUV (which is for the poor). Both are three wheelers designed for people that like to have fun and only for fair weather. One costs $30K the other $18K.

I'm going to guess here. Acrimoto was more concentrated on getting interest and funding as opposed to getting that certification. Thus it was a great excuse as to delay the release. If you never followed any other startup, it sounds good. The government makes you jump through hoops and as to why Arcimoto had to wait even more to release the FUV. Yet, another company, was able to to it and not bring up the delays.

I ask you this, why was it so hard for Arcimoto to get that certification yet for Vanderhall, it was not? Tesla had a six year span for the model S and they had to go through crash testing (which is a massive certification that FUV and Vanderhall never had to do). We know we cannot just go by price alone, so you must have an idea as to the real reason.

Also, how are those full doors coming along? It's been a while since you have delayed your order and Mark really needs to be answering the full door issue. They (Arcimoto) seem to be doing lots of cool things but not addressing a real important detail (full doors). They make half doors ($2,500 option) so it makes that FUV cost a minimum of $20,400. I wonder what the cost of the full doors will be as if it's half, then full should be $5K. That makes it a $22,900 vehicle. Nisan Leaf is $27,400, has full doors, HVAC, Airbags, Infotainment and an better range. I'm starting to wonder if the Arcimoto is overpriced and they need to revisit the $11,900 model (which they have erased from their information and SEC filings).
The only similarity between the 2 vehicles is 3 wheels. Also, the 2 startups have different mission statements, but this is not the thread to discuss it. I’m happy with Arcimoto‘s progress to date. That includes plans currently being implemented/required for production scale. I hope to be discussing BEX’s production plans for a 2023 roll out. :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Was there a question, or was that merely an 'existing hole in the market that needs to be filled' reference?
I believe RS’s statement regarding full doors referenced “Mark“ Frohnmayer, CEO Arcimoto as part of a discussion regarding the time it takes to get a new vehicle concept to certified production model ready. I assume the production model BEX will be fully enclosed/climate controlled, to include a targeted nation wide (USA) sales and service production roll out. I’m 75 and will buy a BEX pending a test drive to determine personal driver comfort, performance, and handling. I adimit to a BEX electric version preference, but an ICE will do. Looking forward to seeing your first prototype screaming around the test track.

Note: I‘ve been following Arcimoto’s R&D long and winding road to include the certification process, funding for the AMP, hiring the right people,
and the FUV production model roll out/sales/service since 2008. Arcimoto crossed the production finish line in 2019, but with the current build rate of 4 units per day, I’m still waiting on the completion of the new factory tooling that will allow for production scale, regional sales/service expansion to my home State, and my required full door option before I buy one. 14 years and counting. My hope is you move faster. :)

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Quick ride in a ZTR 3 wheeler.

Terrifying, these guys are clueless on steering and suspension geometry, had reverse ackermann, positive camber gain in bump, and wild bump steer.

Got into some serious tank slappers in the middle of traffic, where even smaller cars looked like trucks next to you.

Top Bottom