• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mark may have control at this stage, but if it goes into mass production he can't build each one himself. My experience with products from China is that they build things to the lowest quality standard they can get away with. If it works good enough to sell, whether it lasts is not important.

Actually the problem with Chinese quality are the American purchasers who only want the lowest quality. China is quite capable of building excellent quality, you just have to pay for it. Although my "handle" is Made in USA, I would only consider the BEX if I knew it wasn't owned by the Chinese government and that the workers building it are treated respectfully.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My experience with products from China is that they build things to the lowest quality standard they can get away with.

I'm sorry for your experience, it's not like that here, and the joke on Westerners with deep pockets and very short arms, is that Chinese themselves do not buy that crap. I even have some arguments with my wife who insists on always buying the very best, where as I am a medium level product sort of guy.

I have no idea, but can only guess that your 'Made in China' fridge, washing machine, microwave, TV, stereo and other goods in your house have actually been quite reliable for many years, and obviously the computer, keyboard, modem and servers we are conversing through right now are working just fine ...

... but some dirt cheap $19.99 drill or grinder didn't work out very well for you or a friend, the product that was sourced by a Westerner, approved and financed by a Westerner, sold in a shop in the West that's owned by a Westerner, and of course purchased by a Westerner, but that's China's fault right?

I have no problem with controlling quality of larger production, it's a simple vehicle, not many components to keep watch over, and I have been there, done that, so to speak, and I maintain that I am Australian who has an expectation of 'X' quality standards that I am familiar with from 40+ years of growing up in, and being Australian.

Oh, and PS: My aim is and always has been to include American content, and that's working out.

My concern for you is, China will kick you out:

That's one of a handful of Youtube sites that make money on China hate and xenophobic lies, and here's the message I just left there ..

"What a load of absolute crap. I am Australian, have lived in China for 17 years, and the only ones I seeing having any issues are 'Fake Teachers' and small businesses like one man coffee shops or hamburger shops etc.

Any Foreigner that has a Degree or other high-Ed qualification, or is a fit in an area where China has genuine skill shortages, that HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE REQUIREMENT to work in China, are doing just fine thanks
."

---

I have always thought China was far too easy for almost anybody to get work here, especially the fake English conversational teachers with no more qualification than a few hours study to get a TESOL, TEFL or similar certificate, and now they are being weeded out. It's very simple, when your work visa expires, and you apply for a new one, they say no, and they have that right to, as any Country does.

12 month Marriage or Study visas are still easy to get, and they hand out Tourist visas like candy (besides Covid restrictions).

You have just seen a few weeks ago here that I had serious passport and visa issues here, what an absolute moment for the Chinese Gov to boot me out, but they couldn't have been more helpful to my situation, including allowing me to be here illegally visa'less for a few days, while my new passport was issued to get this year's visa.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Actually the problem with Chinese quality are the American purchasers who only want the lowest quality. China is quite capable of building excellent quality, you just have to pay for it. Although my "handle" is Made in USA, I would only consider the BEX if I knew it wasn't owned by the Chinese government and that the workers building it are treated respectfully.
agree .... in addition to those mentioned above, motors for Japanese manufactures like Toyota and electronic medical devices are a couple of examples

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today was spent making a spring compressor to change the top bush over with ease.

Any old junk steel I could find laying around and a turnbuckle with a bit of chain did the job to hold it compressed, and I even put the spring back onto the front suspension with it.

Easy to make, just a lever arm, but getting the geometry right takes time.

1658401011155.png

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today was spent making a spring compressor to change the top bush over with ease.

Any old junk steel I could find laying around and a turnbuckle with a bit of chain did the job to hold it compressed, and I even put the spring back onto the front suspension with it.

Easy to make, just a lever arm, but getting the geometry right takes time.

View attachment 25889
Brought back a memory for me. My Dad also made his own spring compressor. I was about waist high when I watched him change out an old Chrysler's springs and shocks. He was quite aware of the potential danger in messing with the things. I suspect his contraption was better than anything he could have bought. It worked like a breeze and he was proud of another "under the shade tree" repair. I was the flashlight holder.

Another step closer, Mark. :thumb:

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Brought back a memory for me. My Dad also made his own spring compressor. I was about waist high when I watched him change out an old Chrysler's springs and shocks. He was quite aware of the potential danger in messing with the things. I suspect his contraption was better than anything he could have bought. It worked like a breeze and he was proud of another "under the shade tree" repair. I was the flashlight holder.

Another step closer, Mark. :thumb:
The question is, did your dad yell/swear at you for not holding the flashlight in the correct spot?

Top Bottom