• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's all in the engineering, knowing where the load paths are, and where they going :-)
Thanks...
Yes, I just remember a big uproar when these really expensive luxury cars were destroying their own firewalls. For some reason, it stuck in my mind.
Hope it is a bit cooler this week (in your neck of the woods)... The temperature has come down a little (here in the desert) which I am very thankful for!!

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the new "Office" will work out, some final measuring tomorrow, and then to laser it
1f642.png

Oh, and if it works out, I have lowered the top of the dash by another 1.5" again, over 3" since doing this version. Should help with forward vision considerably.

View attachment 25902

View attachment 25903

This looks like the rack is going to be inside the cabin and in the foot well, right? Do you have it all in CAD so that you can show us a picture of the steering column and pedal box at an angle where we can see it all in relation to the rack?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rack is in the engine compartment, not the cabin. An isometric view would show everything better.

It's on the passenger side of the firewall at the moment actually, but of course would have another cover over it, so you are both right ...... or you're both wrong :cool:

Racks present no danger other than potentially catching your shoe laces.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You might have noticed a bit slow going recently, I just want to assure you that it is nothing more than struggling with the peak heat period, and nothing else, and services will be back to normal soon as the cooler change comes.

This week is not looking good, I had to come home today, it's over 110 inside the factory, and little I can do about it sorry.

1659947794262.png

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It started raining this morning, couldn't get to the factory fast enough to take advantage of a (slightly) cooler change, though by late arvo it was scorching again, but at least I got some stuff done.

Took a front suspension spring off, and got the tie rod ends hooked up so I could check bump steer and start correcting it.

It considerably off, so I had to remove the lower firewall, savagely attack it by beating the lowest bend flat with a hammer, and drilling a bunch of test holes to try different mounting heights for the rack to correct the bump steer (that's why it looks ugly).

I settled on 40mm/1.6" lower, and now I will make a new firewall to suit, but this time I will also remove the upper firewall (which is fine), and do a one piece firewall.

Steering rack 5.jpg

Do you have it all in CAD so that you can show us a picture of the steering column and pedal box at an angle where we can see it all in relation to the rack?

The other picture is the relationship to the brake pedal , but they are separated longitudinally by quite a margin.

Steering rack 6.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have spent quite some time searching for the ideal inner and outer tie rod ends for the steering, below is just some of the ones and combinations I have tried, but got lucky again in that not only I finally found the ideal inner and outer from the same vehicle, it's also the biggest selling car (mini van to be exact) in China over the last 20 years, the Wuling Sunshine, point being that supply will never be an issue.

Oh and Wuling is 44% owned by GM.

Forbes has it at #3 in their world's best selling cars list ..
https://www.forbes.com/.../mkk45ekfi/3-wuling-sunshine/...

1660126173861.png

Top Bottom