• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those who think this summer is brutal, Please research 1980! Temps of 113°F for many continuous days here in Texas!

Most of us are 'mature' age people, remember we went everywhere as kids, young adults, we walked, rode bicycles, or in the car, or even just stayed in the house, and we never had air conditioners or other cooling aids, yet now we sense it's hot and lose our minds :-)

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most of us are 'mature' age people, remember we went everywhere as kids, young adults, we walked, rode bicycles, or in the car, or even just stayed in the house, and we never had air conditioners or other cooling aids, yet now we sense it's hot and lose our minds :-)
I still don't have air but open windows at night and shut during day. Their triple pane). People can't live without their phones either.

Reactions: Hog

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, on hot days like this (100+) we never used any a/c during the day, but we were allowed 1 hour at night when we went to bed. My parents would come in later and turn them off. We would open all windows very early (6am) until about 10 or 11, then close everything up and pull all the curtains and shades. There was always the lawn sprinkler outside if we needed to cool off.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, back into it today.

I added simple mounting tabs to the steering rack, arrows, and the keen eye'd who look hard at racks, will notice that all the complicated mounting nonsense from the prototype has gone, and this setup simply bolts directly to the firewall, hope it works out with the steering geometry.

1659614430693.png

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...and this setup simply bolts directly to the firewall.
Mark... I don't claim to know very much about steering racks, but I do remember a "Luxury" car maker having difficulties with bolting a steering rack to the firewall. At some point the steering rack (on these luxury cars) started tearing the firewall. I do think someone came up with a reinforcement kit, not sure who??
It may not be a factor with the BEX Mongrel, as your vehicle will be much lighter than a full size car and the forces and stresses should be substantially less.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mark... I don't claim to know very much about steering racks, but I do remember a "Luxury" car maker having difficulties with bolting a steering rack to the firewall.

Just for your own knowledge bank Sam, aprox 20% of all cars are bolted to the firewall, the rest are usually bolted to the engine crossmember. In fact this actual rack is a firewall mounted unit. Crossmember is merely preferred because it can be fitted on the production line as a single assembly (the complete front end).

It's all in the engineering, knowing where the load paths are, and where they going :-)

Top Bottom