• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What it offers is a wide flat surface that locating slot holes can be laser cut into, that the major component's tabs will slot into and be positively located, jigless, then welded

1662235207040.png

Though I hadn't planned it, the main chassis rails fit onto just the one 4' x 8' sheet. These little wins always help.

1662235333421.png

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What it offers is a wide flat surface that locating slot holes can be laser cut into, that the major component's tabs will slot into and be positively located, jigless, then welded

View attachment 25988

Though I hadn't planned it, the main chassis rails fit onto just the one 4' x 8' sheet. These little wins always help.

View attachment 25989
Love the jigless, tab and slot method of assembly. Are any other vehicles constructed this way? If not – you ought to patent it! ;):thumb:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
how thick is the steel you will be using for the chassis rails ..?

how about for the firewall ..?

Starting with 1.8mm, but not confirmed until I do a load test later, I always tend to be a bit thicker on prototypes just for ease of handling and my bad welding. Likely land at 1.5mm/0.060".

Also, I can't stamp ribbing into the panels like a manufacturer can with million dollar dies, so I rely on folds and additional material welded on for strength and anti-drumming, so need to be a little bit thicker than a mass manufactured car.

On one hand it make me slightly heavier, but on the other hand a bit safer and less prone to serious rust issues in the long term.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another unexpected nice surprised today, like the main rails, the A-pillar and dash/dashtop cnc laser files also fit onto the one 4 x 8' sheet, I truly wasn't expecting them to, and as you can see, a tight squeeze.

Also done (below) it is the main rails cnc laser file.

1662309161782.png

Still more to go, firewall especially, but chopping through it!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Finally have the laser files ready for what I need.

1662409475539.png

There are 3 more parts to go, that will just fill that upper right hand corner, but I need to assemble the bulk of the chassis first before I can finish those 3 parts (rear bulkhead, center roof crossmember and swingarm subframe).

It's 4am, and I'm going to bed

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Finally have the laser files ready for what I need.

View attachment 25991

There are 3 more parts to go, that will just fill that upper right hand corner, but I need to assemble the bulk of the chassis first before I can finish those 3 parts (rear bulkhead, center roof crossmember and swingarm subframe).

It's 4am, and I'm going to bed
Looks like a great chassis to me! Sleep sound and restful!

Verdant

Elio Fan
Reaction score
"Back in the day", when folks believed Elio wasn't "too far" from being a reality..... there were a bunch of people around here that indicated they would travel half across the country to pick their ride up at Shreveport.... if that were to be an option. They wanted to pick it up and drive it home.

How many guys around here would either drive or fly to pick up a Mongrel at port? I would. I suspect others would too.

Would it be feasible to ship to East, West and Texas ports? Just asking.... I have no idea what I'm talking about here. ;)

Added: I guess some of that depends on whether it comes to the States ready to drive or if needs to go through final assembly over here?
Coming from China, there would be a decent chance they could / would get shipped to Tacoma or Los Angeles... I'd be great with either

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yay, most parts are done, and most fit like a glove.

Some jiggling required to get some of the tabs in, but clearly working as intended!

1662459848576.png

1662459863955.png

I give myself a B+ because one of the B Pillars I bent the wrong way, now I have 2 x right hand B Pillars, idiot ...

I had to run back to the laser shop and get another B Pillar cut, will fold it tomorrow, hopefully the right way, well the left way actually.

It's so nice I might have to pay a pro-welder to join it together rather than my ugly excuse for welding.

Top Bottom