• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand your feelings about your welds. My welds are often referred to as "Gorilla Welds". Big, strong, and ugly!

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand your feelings your welds. My welds are often referred to as "Gorilla Welds". Big, strong, and ugly!

It's ok for my prototypes, I know what I am doing, and they are certainly strong enough, good penetration ect, but man they fat and ugly sometimes!

For the life of me I can't understand why I can run a sensational bead one run, change nothing, and the next one goes to hell!

Looks good!. You have a Team if we count the Laser Shop and the professional welder. :)

I have my team of metal supply, laser 2D and now 3D (tube), folding shop, welding shop, fiberglass company, nut and bolt (hardware) supplies, and car parts suppliers.

What I would like is cnc tube bender shop to complete the package. Would like it all under one roof eventually, but it is a small city easy to get around, the longest drive is the fold shop 10 minutes away, with the exception of the fiberglass company in the next city 25 minutes away.

understood .... mine hold .... if you give me a grinder and can of spray paint I can make some of them look pretty good :yo:

Indeed, never seen a bad weld from a man who can use a 4" grinder with flappy sanding discs!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If eagle droppings work, I can do it. If not, well I am willing to learn (again) my welds get good penetration but ULGY as all hell, used to be a lot better, but that's when I did it every day. I haven't done any welding in 10+ years. Started out welding with a torch and that is fun if (notice IF) I do it a lot

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
YES! Oh boy, am I happy.

It ticks all the boxes, it just falls together, it just works, it just does, and you're looking at just 6 pieces to create this assembly
1f642.png

I had to take 7 steps backwards to make this very large leap forward, completely worth it!

Chassis Main 3.jpg

You can see the tabs sticking through the slots here .. the shark fins are the folding points.

Chassis Main 4.jpg

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
YES! Oh boy, am I happy.

It ticks all the boxes, it just falls together, it just works, it just does, and you're looking at just 6 pieces to create this assembly
1f642.png

I had to take 7 steps backwards to make this very large leap forward, completely worth it!

View attachment 25995

You can see the tabs sticking through the slots here .. the shark fins are the bend points.

View attachment 25996
Man! That is absolutely awesome and definitely worth the 7 steps back to get this result!! Wow! It even LOOKS cool! Forget the jigs…. Laser, fold and tabs go into the corresponding holes! Heck, even I could help you put a chassis together! Ha!

love it and boy, will it speed things up when you start putting the orders together…. Accurately too! Great job!!

Top Bottom