• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
way beyond nicely done .... this design has to considerably reduce construction time .... it looks to me as if it also gives you considerable flexibility in shipping

I was looking at that today, there was no intention for it originally, but now seeing it on the bench, it possibly could be sent split, with front and rear joined later.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Going together smoothly, added all the floor cross-members and the main front rails.

Did most of the welding myself, as my welding guy was busy and I didn't want to wait 2 days for him, bit ugly but passable, and most are on the inside so you can't see them anyway
1f642.png

Got my template set up for the B-Pillars as you see in the lower picture, so have a look at that tomorrow.

1662641428913.png

The A-Pillars had 7 tabs on the bottom and 12 on top, I found I only really need 3 on the bottom and only 2 on top, once again CAD computer Vs 'real world', and real world wins.

Got to paint my bench i think, looks ugly in the pictures.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Going together smoothly, added all the floor cross-members and the main front rails.

Did most of the welding myself, as my welding guy was busy and I didn't want to wait 2 days for him, bit ugly but passable, and most are on the inside so you can't see them anyway
1f642.png

Got my template set up for the B-Pillars as you see in the lower picture, so have a look at that tomorrow.

View attachment 25997

The A-Pillars had 7 tabs on the bottom and 12 on top, I found I only really need 3 on the bottom and only 2 on top, once again CAD computer Vs 'real world', and real world wins.

Got to paint my bench i think, looks ugly in the pictures.
No, no, no. Leave the bench alone as-is! It shows character, it's proof that it's been to war......and your bench won.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, no, no. Leave the bench alone as-is! It shows character, it's proof that it's been to war......and your bench won.
I have to agree. A work bench is a WORK bench. A nice shiney work bench is like a clean desk. It looks good, but not much production going on.

The only time I refinish a work bench is when there's not enough "flat" surface left between the holes and scars.

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Moving along, lots of welding today, B-Pillars are on, and so are the rear main chassis rails.

Some of my welds aren't too bad, but I'm not going to show all of them, ha! Don't worry, I will never be 'the welder' on production.

Again the CAD computer was wrong Vs real life, the B-Pillars were 16mm or 5/8ths" out, but it's not a problem because I know why, and my real life template, see picture yesterday, did the job of placing them where they belong.

1662732024410.png

Obviously rollcage is next big item.

Top Bottom