• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While doing the roll bars today, I noticed an issue that requires new B pillars, annoying but I know clearly why, and it's modifications on the existing design, not a re-design.

So a few hours on the computer, and have the laser file ready to go for the morning.

The side is on the frame to line the roll bars up, and the silhouette of the car is always pleasant and encouraging

View attachment 26008
I like the look of a normal car minus one wheel of course and that's Mark's intention here. To put it simply "I like the attention....but not too much attention". :cool:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.. and it was at this moment after starting to bolt the new B pillars to the alignment templates, that I noticed the mistake ..

1663094606041.png

.. and another new set of B pillars tomorrow ...

Bloody Bum Backache Backwards Bitter Betrayed Banal Bleak Bothered Brat Bruised Byzantine and all the other rotten 'B' words I can think of.

The stupid reasons were 2 fold, first I followed the wrong process that painted me into a corner after I welded the angle bend into the B pillar, and sure, i could have cut it open and redone the angle, a bit messy but possible, but then I realised I didn't include the side intrusion bar (square) holes in the laser file, see red arrows in the new laser file, and yes I could cut those by hand, but the 2 items together would be just inaccurate and messy, and more work than simply lasering and folding 2 x new B pillars again.

1663094654736.png

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I've been building a machine at work and still have a ways to go before it can run production. The president of the company just walked by, telling us it has to be done by end of the month and we also need to install some yellow poles to keep forklifts from running into it. I'm thinking "we need to get it running first". Typical.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.. and it was at this moment after starting to bolt the new B pillars to the alignment templates, that I noticed the mistake ..

View attachment 26010

.. and another new set of B pillars tomorrow ...

Bloody Bum Backache Backwards Bitter Betrayed Banal Bleak Bothered Brat Bruised Byzantine and all the other rotten 'B' words I can think of.

The stupid reasons were 2 fold, first I followed the wrong process that painted me into a corner after I welded the angle bend into the B pillar, and sure, i could have cut it open and redone the angle, a bit messy but possible, but then I realised I didn't include the side intrusion bar (square) holes in the laser file, see red arrows in the new laser file, and yes I could cut those by hand, but the 2 items together would be just inaccurate and messy, and more work than simply lasering and folding 2 x new B pillars again.

View attachment 26011
To err is human. No harm no foul, just a bit wasted time that's all. Reminds me of my days spending week nights assembling ARF model planes, installing and testing servos, controllers, motor, prop, testing flaps, rudders etc. Finally took to the field, got it flying, got a little cocky and did a low pass inverted and half a second later, hit the stick down instead of up and wham, I'm picking up pieces of what can be reused. No body got hurt, just my wallet....and ego. :mad:

Last edited:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To err is human. No harm no foul, just a bit wasted time that's all. Reminds me of my days spending week nights assembling ARF model planes, installing and testing servos, controllers, motor, prop, testing flaps, rudders etc. Finally took to the field, got it flying, got a little cocky and did a low pass inverted and half a second later, hit the stick down instead of up and wham, I'm picking up pieces of what can be reused. No body got hurt, just my wallet....and ego. :mad:
But if you were inverted, stick down would be proper!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well after yesterday's 'B' grade effort, today went very well, and all is well.

The new, new B pillars are standing proud in place, fit perfectly, and are easier to manufacturer now.

If I hadn't left my phone at home, I would have taken a picture, and you would have all gone: 'Ohhh!" and "Ahhh!".

The president of the company... need to install some yellow poles to keep forklifts from running into it.

Tell Prez to hire some better forklift drivers? Just a thought.

You're right, I meant up! I've broken the rule of doing stunts by doing it too close to the ground so erred I did and there was no room to correct the mistake.

Incredibly microlights in Australia were limited to 500 yard/meter ceiling, until they finally realised that people were dying due to no time to correct mistakes or bail out ... idiots.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I've been building a machine at work and still have a ways to go before it can run production. The president of the company just walked by, telling us it has to be done by end of the month and we also need to install some yellow poles to keep forklifts from running into it. I'm thinking "we need to get it running first". Typical.
Perhaps the Prez is confident in your ability to get it up and running and wants to protect the investment in time and money in the process. Accidents happen to the best of fork lift operators. :)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The new, new B pillars are standing proud in place, fit perfectly, and are easier to manufacturer now.

If I hadn't left my phone at home, I would have taken a picture, and you would have all gone: 'Ohhh!" and "Ahhh!".

Incredibly microlights in Australia were limited to 500 yard/meter ceiling, until they finally realised that people were dying due to no time to correct mistakes or bail out ... idiots.
I was so close to buying one long time ago, a used one for a measly 5k. We call it Ultralights here- not really meant to go far but just to enjoy the freedom of flight (within allowable ceiling).

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Back to regular programming here, can't wait for the ohhh and ahhhs

Top Bottom