• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today made up an internal steering column mount, red arrows, that not only supports the steering column, but helps with the struture's rigidity as well.

I also moved the front wheels forward by 3/4", easy task, see the drawing where I have exaggerated it, so you can understand how I did it. The rear pivot was simply moved outwards, which pushes the lower ball joint forward, as simple as drilling a new hole each side.

Moved forward because I didn't like the firewall clearance or the CV driveshaft angle.

1665933969967.png

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today made up an internal steering column mount, red arrows, that not only supports the steering column, but helps with the struture's rigidity as well.

I also moved the front wheels forward by 3/4", easy task, see the drawing where I have exaggerated it, so you can understand how I did it. The rear pivot was simply moved outwards, which pushes the lower ball joint forward, as simple as drilling a new hole each side.

Moved forward because I didn't like the firewall clearance or the CV driveshaft angle.

View attachment 26076
details..... details..... the sum will make a great vehicle. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Love the posts!!

texmhess

Reaction score
I'm sitting here thinking: Who the heck is he talking about, lol! :lol::lol:

White boards are "remarkable".

Insignificant, a couple of bolt holes and it's done. The only oddity is it's likely to be on the left of the seat, trying to maximise storage space to the right of the driver.
Not saying it would be preferred, but you could do the pedal type, right? Lots of automatics have that type of parking brake as opposed to the handle kind.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been working on the steering column top mount.

Like everything, it's not just for me, but needs to have a lot of adjustment to suit 5' to 6'6" drivers.

Got a rotten cold and haven't left the house today, but will go to the laser shop soon to pick up the parts for the 4th iteration of an adjustable mount, hope it's the final one.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the 4th steering column mount, it's not something you can just design and make, you need to sit in a seat, hold the steering wheel, and judge physically were the wheel should be, and where it should be for others.

Steering column 2.jpg

Bottom row is rough scrap version, through to improved versions with mods.

Seems to be right now, but until I decide on the actual seat, sit in it and drive it to see the comfort factor, there might be a 5th version yet, so that's why it's bolted in, not welded in. :-)

texmhess

Reaction score
This is the 4th steering column mount, it's not something you can just design and make, you need to sit in a seat, hold the steering wheel, and judge physically were the wheel should be, and where it should be for others.

View attachment 26079

Bottom row is rough scrap version, through to improved versions with mods.

Seems to be right now, but until I decide on the actual seat, sit in it and drive it to see the comfort factor, there might be a 5th version yet, so that's why it's bolted in, not welded in. :-)
Awesome. Drive day must be soon!

Top Bottom