• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My interest in a three wheeler EV or ICE was to crank it up for across town morning coffee runs. Ocean to ocean runs for this old codger would require airline tickets or a luxury motorhome. The only new startup that has crossed the finish line tp production and is delivering vehicles that I’m aware of is Arcimoto.....and it’s one fun ride. The more long or short range three wheeler options that make it to market the better.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Indeed sir! While I lost all hopes in the ELIO, BEX renewed my interest in affordable ICE 3wheeler and I'll gladly buy it in kit form for easy international shipping.

Nothing set in stone yet, still down the track, but one option is to have them assembled Stateside, and that would involve shipping kits, of which some might like to assemble themselves.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So finally decided on a crossmember design, finalised the layout in 3D, flattened it out, and tidied it up into 2D CAD for CNC laser cutting.
Hopefully the laser shop can do it tomorrow :-)

crossmember master.jpg

crossmember master 2.jpg

crossmember master 3.jpg

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Curious if when you do the laser layout if you take into consideration the cut path? You obviously are trying to utilize the space well.

That's quite a loose nest, I get much tighter than that usually. Nesting is fun, it's a challenge, like a jigsaw puzzle. This is what it looks like on a 1000 x 2000mm/4 x 8ft sheet ..

4 x 8.jpg

The laser cut is less than 0.1mm/0.004" but occasionally they have a spit, and I don't know where the starting hole will be, it can be a bit messy sometimes, so I play it safe unless I need to utilise the whole sheet to avoid buying another.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
is the crossmember design you've decided on available off the shelf or will you have to find a source to manufacture them for your assembly line

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
is the crossmember design you've decided on available off the shelf or will you have to find a source to manufacture them for your assembly line

It is a bespoke crossmember integral with the chassis.

a/ It is made as simply as possible from flat sheetmetal, laser or waterjet cut, with only 4 x 90 degree folds, that any small local engineering shop can replicate quickly if damaged. I am more than happy to supply them or the CNC file to cut them. I will show the building of the crossmember over the next few days.

I have no intention of holding people to ransom with bespoke parts as some companies do.

b/ It is designed around using standard 'off the shelf parts' such as lower control arms that are replaced often due to accident damage or ball joint/bush wear.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It is a bespoke crossmember integral with the chassis.

b/ It is designed around using standard 'off the shelf parts' such as lower control arms that are replaced often due to accident damage or ball joint/bush wear.

10-4 .... that makes good sense .... the car will have to have some unique parts .... designing those parts so as to accommodate as many as possible off the shelf parts as is possible.... nicely done

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you consider US sales, I think it is a mistake to consider a high-volume pricing structure right off at launch time.

i work from a different angle, a set an approximate price, then I see what I can offer within that budget. Low volume or high volume is no problem, it's middle volume that is the killer as it costs just as much to tool up as it does for high volume, and is the step up from low volume that has killed many an attempt in many fields of business.

------------------------------

The parts for the crossmember were lasered today, so moving forward there now ...

Crossmember ass 1.jpg

Top Bottom