• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Finally, my other 2 bushes arrived today, won't deal with them again.

This has stalled me because too many things are related to the installation of them, and I have been concerned to move forward until I have the rear swingarm in place, so I can put the wheels on, and setup the ride height.

View attachment 24949

frustration caused by this short delay is understandable but they will be quickly forgotten .... getting it right the first time will more than offset the delay

will these bushings have grease fittings ... ?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
will these bushings have grease fittings ... ?

No, they are neoprene rubber, dry, as with most suspension bushes. When they are shot, you press them out, and replace them, though this only tends to apply to heavier vehicles, light vehicles often go their lifetime without replacement, or once at the most.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
interesing, in fact for me, very interesting .... info appreciated .... in your trike what would be the indicator that I'd need to have the brushes checked ?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
interesing, in fact for me, very interesting .... info appreciated .... in your trike what would be the indicator that I'd need to have the brushes checked ?

"Clunks" are the first telltale, and a slight loss of directional stability, eg: wandering.

Ahh finally moving forward again.

The swingarm is in, lots of cleaning up and bracing yet, but heading in the right direction ..

swingarm 2.jpg

swingarm 4.jpg

swingarm 3.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"Clunks" are the first telltale, and a slight loss of directional stability, eg: wandering.
"Clunks" .... makes sense .... another question, are the pink parts welded to the box tube ..?.. the torking pressure of bouncing over rough roads looks to me like they could bend ?

Attachments

• 210621 002 rear arm 001.jpg
    210621 002 rear arm 001.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 85

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Clunks" .... makes sense .... another question, are the pink parts welded to the box tube ..?.. the torking pressure of bouncing over rough roads looks to me like they could bend ?

Yes, welded to the lateral main swingarm box tube. Absolutely will not bend, strong as ....

Anyway, the amount of pressure applied to the pink parts, is relevant to where the suspension is mounted on the swingarm, the closer to the rear axle, the closer to zero pressure.

I bought a new strut for the rear this morning, and now playing with where to mount it.

Keen eyes will also see that I have flipped the swingarm from yesterday, this was my preference to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, and also protects the parking brake cable better.

swingarm 5.jpg

The "pink bits" (that has a different meaning in Australia...) mentioned by JEBar, blue arrows, will be turned 90 degrees to shorten the overly long wheelbase. In fact this will match the Elio's wheelbase of 110"

swingarm 6.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, there were a number of challenges to get her done, but here ya are below. I'm not sure I got the width right. I can still adjust that, since I havent joined the two sides as yet.
A 2018 Hyundai Accent. There was not a 2 door file of it in the ware house. Next will be a two door conversion.
This is the link to the CAD file download.
2018HyundaiAccent1.png
2018HyundaiAccent2.png
2018HyundaiAccent3.png
2018HyundaiAccent4.png

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, welded to the lateral main swingarm box tube. Absolutely will not bend, strong as ....

Anyway, the amount of pressure applied to the pink parts, is relevant to where the suspension is mounted on the swingarm, the closer to the rear axle, the closer to zero pressure.

I bought a new strut for the rear this morning, and now playing with where to mount it.

Keen eyes will also see that I have flipped the swingarm from yesterday, this was my preference to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, and also protects the parking brake cable better.

View attachment 24957

The "pink bits" (that has a different meaning in Australia...) mentioned by JEBar, blue arrows, will be turned 90 degrees to shorten the overly long wheelbase. In fact this will match the Elio's wheelbase of 110"

View attachment 24958

Yeah.... I spotted the swing arm flip pretty quick and I like that move for us Americans. I think it would be a little safer to change the rear wheel from that side since we tend to pull over on the right side of the road with emergencies/flats. While this isn't a deal maker or breaker – it's just a wee bit better for us "righties".

Mark.... I know you've driven a lot in both right and left handed traffic. Which do you prefer?

One thing is clear... the centered steering wheel will work anywhere in the world! No mods necessary! ;)

Top Bottom