• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Mark….. just askin’….
Why do you want to put a drum on the back instead of disc?

Hand brake is about 10 times more effective on a drum than a disc. It's also stock from the donor, and cheap.

Many small FWD cars still use drums on the rear, thing is USA doesn't have that many small cars, your smallest car, the Chevy Spark for example, has drum rear.

Oh and many rear discs actually have a mini drum brake inside them, because it is far more effective. here is a Toyota Corolla rear disc with inner drum brake for the parking brake.

toy.jpg

I'm no expert, but I believe about 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes. Seems to me the rear brake should be whatever is the lowest cost. After all, both disc and drum work well. Is this reasonable?

Be more than 70% in this case, likely 66%/33% front to rear weight distribution, and then when you brake, it transfers a lot more % of weight forward.

Rear brake's job mostly is braking stability and parking brake.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
GM started using that kind of setup in the Mid to late 70's in small cars (think Vega and Chevette) it was a cheap way to do it.
And thinking Vega that was a rolling accident looking for a place to happen geezzz those cars were a POS and they used cheap stuff where ever they could.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
GM started using that kind of setup in the Mid to late 70's in small cars (think Vega and Chevette) it was a cheap way to do it.
we had 2 Chevettes .... as best I can remember a '75 and a '79 .... we drove the heck out of both of them and they performed well .... I wasn't aware that they had this type of emergency brake .... all I can say for sure is they both worked well

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
interesting .... first time I've seen a brake designed like that
we had 2 Chevettes .... as best I can remember a '75 and a '79 .... we drove the heck out of both of them and they performed well .... I wasn't aware that they had this type of emergency brake .... all I can say for sure is they both worked well

Very common.

Chevettes were rear drum, most 1970s cars were, large or small.

Last edited:
Top Bottom