• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
those eco boost motors have a world of power .... I suspect that their cost simply wouldn't fit into the target price of a BEX

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been thinking and researching hard this week, and made a decision to base the pre-production car on the 2017-2020 Hyundai Accent body parts, doors being the key element. Today I ordered the sides and 4 doors (4 for the moment for development, 2 for production). The doors are in stock, but the sides will be 5 days.

The reason is very simple, it's the right size, I can get the parts dirt cheap, and most importantly, so can you! Example: https://www.carid.com/hyundai-accent-doors/

But more thinking, ok in 10+ years time, someone runs into your car, or the electric window stops working, no problem, go to a car junkyard, and buy the parts. There's plenty been and being sold in the USA right now, it's a current model, and likely to continue to be sold in Mexico for many more years also.

The Accent looks like this, you can immediately see why the basic shape was high on my list:

accent side.jpg

And thanks to esteemed Member AriLea, here is an approximation of what it may look similar to ..

A 1.jpg

A2.jpg

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It competes extremely well with the Elio styling! I want it! But I will be putting wire wheels on mine! :cool:
There's a good chance I'll keep mine 100% stock. So even if it comes standard with plastic wheel covers, that's what mine will run on. I'm sort of a purist – when it comes to vehicles. I don't think I've ever modified anything. I guess I just like to keep the vehicles original, even if the aftermarkets are an improvement.

I sure am looking forward to seeing the BEX runnin' around!

If/when I get my hands on one, I plan to be the first person to wear one out. We'll see how many miles it can handle. ;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There's a good chance I'll keep mine 100% stock. I'm sort of a purist – when it comes to vehicles. I don't think I've ever modified anything.

I sure am looking forward to seeing the BEX runnin' around!

If/when I get my hands on one, I plan to be the first person to wear one out. We'll see how many miles it can handle. ;)

understood on looking forward to seeing them out and about .... with mods, I'm on the other end of the scale .... I don't remember a single one that I've owned that I didn't modify to some degree .... just how much depends on what options are available for the original purpose ....

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
are there any other body panels or hood hood that may come from off the shelf sources .... if you have to have the hood and other body parts custom fabricated, what do you anticipate having them made out of

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
are there any other body panels or hood hood that may come from off the shelf sources .... if you have to have the hood and other body parts custom fabricated, what do you anticipate having them out of

There's no doubt that fiberglass is the only solution in a lower volume situation as the cost of press die molds for steel panels is simply prohibitive, and someone has to pay for them.

Fiberglass can get a bit of a bad rap from cheap, poorly made kit cars in the past, but go look at decent boats and see how excellent it can be. ... and it doesn't rust.

Then of course there's the Chev Corvette .....

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There's no doubt that fiberglass is the only solution in a lower volume situation as the cost of press die molds for steel panels is simply prohibitive, and someone has to pay for them.

Fiberglass can get a bit of a bad rap from cheap, poorly made kit cars in the past, but go look at decent boats and see how excellent it can be. ... and it doesn't rust.

Then of course there's the Chev Corvette .....

10-4 on fiberglass .... we've owned a Vette and several boats .... I figured that would be the way you would have go

Top Bottom