• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's half a car so something small like this at the center will work fine with me......and no computer screen please. Basic works best.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 89

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just asked in the FB group "Am I starting over again with these new panels?".

The answer is simple:

Most of the hard work is done now, now that I have all the critical measurements to work directly from the prototype, with the relevant minor changes to suit these panels of course, so we are talking just a couple of weeks to get to the same level as the prototype again, not many months.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just asked in the FB group "Am I starting over again with these new panels?".

The answer is simple:

Most of the hard work is done now, now that I have all the critical measurements to work directly from the prototype, with the relevant minor changes to suit these panels of course, so we are talking just a couple of weeks to get to the same level as the prototype again, not many months.
I think it's safe to say, we're all rooting for you. :clap2:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The comparison here is, it took me weeks to decide and design around how the sides would mount to the chassis, and of course that time included variations and modifications of the chassis design to suit as well ...

This afternoon, took me just a few hours to cut the sills off the new sides, and (temp) rivet the new chassis rails on, simply because I had it all worked out on the prototype, and literally just copied it today, with some minor alterations such as changing to the same size rail tubes as the (potential) Production Partner uses.

Just an example of how much faster this pre-production car will happen, and the weather is finally stating to cool, thank goodness for that ..

I must admit I grimace when I start cutting brand new parts up!

Sills.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will the rear trunk hood (is that a rear bonnet to the brits? ;)), will it open, or will it be simply bridged with a welded flat sheet, or will you cut a section from the middle of a lid to bridge it?

Little bit early to tell yet, I had an idea of easily removed rear roof sections as in a fastback one, and a station wagon one.

And to us Australians, it's a "boot". The front is a bonnet.

Will you forgo the inner set of tail lights? Or make a custom lamp in that middle area?

Understood, not sure. Likely a 'straight across' filler reflector, not operational lamp.

And will you be doing the same to bridge across the roof? Will the gutters along the top be kept, or filled in? If so, roof recessed 3-4mm to control rain drip? Or will the production version be stamped to give some natural curvature?

The flat roof, will have the longitudinal door arch gutters primarily for strength. You can see it best in these pictures ..

roof 1.jpg
roof rear on.jpg

The roof sheet is far from parallel btw ..

roof 0.jpg

roof.jpg

I guessed at where the measurement of 900mm and 600mm between the pillars was measured at, can you specify that point of measure for me more accurately? Still 900/600mm?

I think you should wait some days to a week. Also check the measurements of your model against the Hyundai Accent dimensions, I found your's to be longer and lower. You know in Sketchup that takes mere seconds to change of course.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well she's up on the bench ...

on bench 1.jpg

Imagine my surprise when the temporary crossbrace I made up to hold the previous 2 sides together, fitted straight onto these sides!

I pulled the fuel tank out of the donor car, you can see it's rear raised in the background, and it's an excellent fit, that's one more thing "off the shelf", and one less headache for me ....

brace and fuel tank.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom