• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
looking forward to seeing how you are going to run the exhaust
Going to be one of the last items ..

Today's effort was getting the radiator and air conditioning condenser into place, I had to move them forward a little for clearance as they are now moved more to the right than they were in the donor car. I will new a new top radiator hose, but it's a simple 90 degree bend, but the bottom hose is fine.

I had a win with the clutch, as I can use the 'off the shelf' standard clutch cable, there's one less headache. That may sound strange, but remember I have moved the pedals from the left side of the car, to the center, some 500mm/20" to the right, so not everything simply fits again. Luckily the clutch cable was already long and did a 360 degree loop in the donor car, and I have done the same, follow the red dots in the picture :-)

Firewall 4.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking good Mark...

Can't lie, it's the new shoes.

I know it has to make you smile a bit when a donor part – like the clutch cable – fits 100%. Makes us future owners smile as well!

Especially when it's from the same donor car, and not mixing parts too much.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I see 1 big problem with your design, even in this day and age, there are quite a few that have to clue and then there are those of us that have problems with their legs, I like so many others have knee problems and pressing down and holding a clutch pedal is sometimes a problem. I can do it, but I would rather not due to injury. So is there going to be an option of an automatic? Or is that too far in the future? I remember having this discussion for the Elio (auto vs. Stick) And as we get older the body yells a little louder each time you ask it to do something. And then there are some that get all kinds of mental overload if they see 3 pedals, first question out of their mouths is I thought it was an automatic. What say thee?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see 1 big problem with your design, even in this day and age, there are quite a few that have to clue and then there are those of us that have problems with their legs, I like so many others have knee problems and pressing down and holding a clutch pedal is sometimes a problem. I can do it, but I would rather not due to injury. So is there going to be an option of an automatic? Or is that too far in the future? I remember having this discussion for the Elio (auto vs. Stick) And as we get older the body yells a little louder each time you ask it to do something. And then there are some that get all kinds of mental overload if they see 3 pedals, first question out of their mouths is I thought it was an automatic. What say thee?

1. Elio is/was a manual, the general aim of this car was to match the general specifications and purpose of the Elio, this is the primary goal, and the initial release will be 5 speed manual. Price and immediate availability of a drivetrain also dictate this.

2. An automatic is being sort out, either traditional auto, or CVT. It is the most important option, and my personal choice as well, but secondary to getting point 1 resolved first.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand that over 90% of the cars in the U.S. are automatic. If a new car is marketed here that is only available in manual, the manufacturer can expect sales to take a major hit. Probably not a good idea. Seems to me it's not a matter of if the maker can afford to offer an auto, but that they can't afford not to.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't driven a manual in probably 4 decades. When I was young, all I wanted and drove was a manual. I must be regressing back to my teens and twenties. I want the manual in this vehicle. I want to shift.

I can certainly understand folks wanting an auto... especially with a lot of heavy city driving.
My second BEX may be an auto. ;)

Top Bottom