• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Merry Xmas to all.

Yeah, 2022 is close, darn time moves on and just doesn't seem to slow down ....
Yup, it sure does. But seriously now, you are not going to make this trike rear steer are you? It sounds like an accident waiting to happen, it just has to find a place to happen. Rear steer has a tendency to be twitchy at higher speeds. Have you ever driven a fork lift? In a short wheelbase it gets twitchy at anything over 5mph (or 7kph) I sure hope you plan on higher speeds then 5mph!!! Leave the rear wheel in a fixed position, steer with the front wheels, you'll be much happier in the long run.

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, it sure does. But seriously now, you are not going to make this trike rear steer are you? It sounds like an accident waiting to happen, it just has to find a place to happen. Rear steer has a tendency to be twitchy at higher speeds. Have you ever driven a fork lift? In a short wheelbase it gets twitchy at anything over 5mph (or 7kph) I sure hope you plan on higher speeds then 5mph!!! Leave the rear wheel in a fixed position, steer with the front wheels, you'll be much happier in the long run.
I suppose you could solve the problem by driving backwards. :crazy:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
To prove my point, drive any car backwards, and what does it feel like? Stability wise.
Not very stable is it. It's going to be really a handful at speed. Speed like anything over 10mph
Rear wheel steer is inherently twitchy.
My vote, no way in hell would I want a vehicle that doesn't feel solid at speed.
I would feel uncomfortable in something that I couldn't feel "solid" in.

Enough said....

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, it sure does. But seriously now, you are not going to make this trike rear steer are you? It sounds like an accident waiting to happen, it just has to find a place to happen. Rear steer has a tendency to be twitchy at higher speeds. Have you ever driven a fork lift?

Cars driving in reverse of course have negative caster, and forklifts have zero caster, both that cause that unstable feeling.

Rear steering is ok with the correct and necessary stable positive caster, but isn't safe when a car gets out of control, which it will at a likely lower speed because of course the weight is being swung around on a larger centrifugal arc, and also no way to contain it if it's force becomes greater than the tire's grip.

Top Bottom