• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Now they make a smashing 1.5 triple that powers the fiesta ST and some of the smaller SUVs as well. It would be absolutely outrageous (and fun) in something like the BEX. Also having all that power would allow for some taller gearing for keeping great MPGs. I think that would be nice later down the road for a “hot” BEX.
the possibilities for future power plants and/or many other components is pretty much wide open .... for the immediate future, Mark has designed his trike around using a a Toyota 1.0 KR1 engine and until he says otherwise, its pretty much locked in .... one of the things I look forward to is the various mods/upgrades that owners may be make in the future .... for our use, I believe his chosen engine will more than meet our needs/requirements

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the possibilities for future power plants and/or many other components is pretty much wide open .... for the immediate future, Mark has designed his trike around using a a Toyota 1.0 KR1 engine and until he says otherwise, its pretty much locked in .... one of the things I look forward to is the various mods/upgrades that owners may be make in the future .... for our use, I believe his chosen engine will more than meet our needs/requirements

I think I would have to widen the chassis to take some of the engines mentioned, but that is pretty easy as all the crossmembers are perpendicular to the centerline, and would merely need adding a bit of width to all of them.

I do have it in the back of my mind that not everybody wants a pure economy car, but just a personal vehicle of the type, that has a bit of grunt as well - without getting stupid, remembering it is a 3 wheeler.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmm I wonder what it would take to fit a 426 Hemi in it?? Besides wings and a parachute.....

It might not be doable, but it sure would be fun...

Even a V6 would be a ball in that little thing, the 200 V6 I had in my Magnum was a ball in that car, big car, but you would never know it had a V6 hemi in it

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think I would have to widen the chassis to take some of the engines mentioned, but that is pretty easy as all the crossmembers are perpendicular to the centerline, and would merely need adding a bit of width to all of them.

I do have it in the back of my mind that not everybody wants a pure economy car, but just a personal vehicle of the type, that has a bit of grunt as well - without getting stupid, remembering it is a 3 wheeler.
Car NUTS had sooo much fun with the good ol' VW beetle- V8 power, V6 power, turbo charged......at least it's got 4 wheels.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
so, all it took to improve your welding was a major rewiring ...!!!!

Gone from "atrocious" to just "bad" now ..... So frustrating, I love welding, and after 40 years I am just rubbish at it.

----------

I am working hard on the car, but nothing to show, been busy looking at racks. No, not those sort of racks!

I am sorting out/designing/trialing steering systems, something that literally has to be done from scratch, and that I always knew was going to be one of the most difficult steps.

Basically, there is no suitable steering racks for a central seat car, or the ones that are suitable, like a Porsche 911, are way out of price range for the project. Off road buggy ones are not suitable, just not made well enough, primarily for golf carts or small off road buggies. The proper race buggy racks are $500 or so.

rack 1.jpg

I have a possible solution, an older VW/Audi rack that is still widely available as it was used in China up until a few years ago, made literally in the millions, will buy one tomorrow and see how it shapes up ..

rack 2.jpg

Top Bottom