• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The fuel tank is mounted, but not.

I got a bit complicated with it, took a step back and realised how easy I could make it, cut out what I had made up, grabbed 2 lengths of angle iron, 4 holes and job done.

Accent tank 1.jpg

I will design and laser a more appropriate mounting system, but this is the foundation of it, i.e. KISS.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mark, just curious.... Do you anticipate the Bex to be about the same interior width as the Elio?
Sitting in the Elio, I could just reach both door openings with elbows extended out.

It's hard for me to answer that as I have never sat in an Elio.

If sitting in your average car, to the left there is more room in mine than that, and of course to both sides of you. Sounds similar to what you have described.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really impressed by your latest frame construction .... some folks may want to tow a motorcycle type trailer behind it .... others may want to flat tow it behind a motorhome .... do your foresee it being able to accommodate after market mods to make that possible ..??

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That would make it similar to the Elio.

(to 84Mpg) I sat in the Elio, well a couple of the versions (pays to live in the same city..). I compared it to my Prius C, considering the distance from my shoulder on the driver's side.

When centered in the Elio, I had about 1 more inch (2cm) than my natural seating position in the Prius(so both sides the same). That was measured to the door-post. There was slightly more to the actual door. Maybe half an inch? (1cm)

Of course it's apples to oranges comparing the opposite shoulder distance, considering that center space in the sociable.

Both the Solo and the Elio simply 'felt' tighter than my Prius C. That extra center space is the reason. But I could see it was going to be easy to adjust to the new single spacing. I just remembered how this seemed more like an jet fighter, and that felt worth it. And thinking of the Solo experience, it just seemed like you were so much more 'there' on the roadway. It was more visceral. That made it worth it too. But I like road feel.

I assume Mark has driven at least one center seating race car. I'm sure he can address the 'feel' of that. :plane:The Solo was my first, other than motorcycles, oh and my Taddy (unfinished tadpole trike, this is not my Atlantric). It's better for in-the-moment experiencing.:car:

I suspect I would like Base-Jumping if it wasn't spooky-crazy-deadly, one misjudgment away from explaining to Jesus how being stupid/silly was justified.:crutch: Let's not even think about explaining anything about that to my mom in heaven (if I make it there). :bolt:

In the Prius, or any sociable seating layout, you can turn to the center, look thought the gap and at least deal with the back seat on the opposite side (smack the kids or whatever!). Or even work the center space. Even reach thru that gap and dig under your own seat. That will NOT be the case in the tandem layout.

We will just have to get used to stopping the car to dig around in the back, check the kid's seat belt, or whatever. That will be a safer play than what we normally do, multitask to dig around in the back while driving. Yea?! you know ya do it! :cool:

OH! I do remember something, I made a cardboard mockup of the cabin for my trike before starting construction. Its volume definitely had the same feel to it as the real car. So if you were super motivated, it's not a hard task to do. You just have to remember to put it up at the same height as the real car would be. Include cardboard to represent the doors, and sticks for window frames etc. Even put tinfoil over cardboard to represent the mirrors.

At that point, I seriously considered making the chassis out of cardboard, would have been cheaper than 6061T6 sheet-metal!

But, I know, most of us are not that intent about this. :fish2:
:-)

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's hard for me to answer that as I have never sat in an Elio.

If sitting in your average car, to the left there is more room in mine than that, and of course to both sides of you. Sounds similar to what you have described.
Sounds about right... There's going to be more seating/driving room than some folks might imagine. The coming months are going to be exciting – watching the progress.

Velhartice

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to remember a while back there was some talk about a three cylinder Ford Econo Boost engine. It was used in a European model that they no longer make. It was small and powerful. Maybe worth a look?
Yea I mentioned the Ford Fox engine earlier.

Now they make a smashing 1.5 triple that powers the fiesta ST and some of the smaller SUVs as well. It would be absolutely outrageous (and fun) in something like the BEX. Also having all that power would allow for some taller gearing for keeping great MPGs. I think that would be nice later down the road for a “hot” BEX.

I was fully expecting the elio to be an absolute monster on the drag strip once somebody shoved some crazy boosted b18 or k20 rig in one. Maybe even a ‘Busa motor. The aerodynamic profile plus the traction of both front wheels and the availability of powerful, compact FWD powerplants these days is just begging for a swap. If I had the funds and time I would do it myself.

Top Bottom