• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like to keep you informed, it's simple at the moment, I am struggling with a couple of aspects of the front crossmember design still, and I am re-figuring things the last couple of days.

As soon as I have a result, so will you
1f642.png

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At this time I am going with the original crossmember so today I started to build some supporting framework to support it.

This is what happens sometimes developing prototype, it's a bit like a maze, you choose a path, and sometimes you hit a dead end.

I made the basic frame, that may need to be altered depending on what framework is needed to mount the engine/gearbox, got some front mounts done, and started on the rear mountings. The template, red arrow, I bought home with me, and have made the .dxf file so tomorrow they will be laser cut.

crossmember 2.jpg

crossmember 3.jpg

dxf.jpg

One thing I'd like to tip into the bucket...
Anti sway is a particular issue for 2F1R trikes, which implicates the need to have a different firmness for roll versus wheel bump.

All roll firmness can only be taken at one end of course (Delta or RT). This implies that a heavier bar is needed

I am banking (no pun) on the lighter weight, and the less leverage due to the vehicle's mass being more centered of course, and that the roll bar I have will suffice. There are ways to change this bar's tension to a degree if needed.

Again, this is all 'off the shelf' parts, the transverse leaf idea is solid, but involves numbers of bespoke parts. My first car, a Datsun 1000, had a front transverse leaf.

Last edited:

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At this time I am going with the original crossmember so today I started to build some supporting framework to support it.

This is what happens sometimes developing prototype, it's a bit like a maze, you choose a path, and sometimes you hit a dead end.

I made the basic frame, that may need to be altered depending on what framework is needed to mount the engine/gearbox, got some front mounts done, and started on the rear mountings. The template, red arrow, I bought home with me, and have made the .dxf file so tomorrow they will be laser cut.

View attachment 24664

View attachment 24665

View attachment 24666

All roll firmness can only be taken at one end of course (Delta or RT). This implies that a heavier bar is needed

I am banking (no pun) on the lighter weight, and the less leverage due to the vehicle's mass being more centered of course, and that the roll bar I have will suffice. There are ways to change this bar's tension to a degree if needed.

Again, this is all 'off the shelf' parts, the transverse leaf idea is solid, but involves numbers of bespoke parts. My first car, a Datsun 1000, had a front transverse leaf.
The Fiat 850 also, I believe.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
and the rear crossmember brackets today

View attachment 24667

Cool indeed!!

My Dad worked with metal his entire career. And was good at it. I wished he had lived long enough to see today’s technology. He would not believe it possible.

Thanks again for the pics, movies and of course the updates themselves! Good work!!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AriLea, It’s a low to no bar to reach the Elio level of sales. Any remaining Elio fans and reservationists in my age group will be to old to drive a concept in the earliest stage of R&D, assuming a FMVSS certified production model. :(

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AriLea, It’s a low to no bar to reach the Elio level of sales. Any remaining Elio fans and reservationists in my age group will be to old to drive a concept in the earliest stage of R&D, assuming a FMVSS certified production model. :(

Here we go again:
Order Summary

Design Your Custom Aptera
SKU: APTERA
Range (Miles per Charge): 250 ($25900)
Front-Wheel or All-Wheel Drive: Front-Wheel Drive
Interior Color: Vida: Bright coral
Exterior Colors: Sol: White
Solar Power: Solar Roof (Included)
Price: $100.00
Qty: 1 $100.00
Subtotal $100.00
Shipping $0.00
Tax $0.00
Total $100.00
Need Assistance? Contact us.
We'll do everything we can to make sure you have a great experience with us.
Email us: info@aptera.us
This email was sent by Aptera Motors
https://www.aptera.us/

Top Bottom