• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm playing around with a CAD model to try and estimate the end game for this prototype.
I could not get the same model to start with, so I used something somewhat similar. I'm guessing at the position of things, but below is what I have so far.
I would like to know how the rear will be finished out, unless it is something very similar to the original posted sketch. I'll try that skirt next.
Admittedly, I should probably repeat this exercise with a 2-door. For only 2 hours of play time, it's not bad up to now.
CarModel5.png

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not 100% sure myself, I consider the structure and mechanical foundations more important at this time.
Cool!, While you are doing the fundamental foundation work, I will play with the rear skirt. That way you will have visuals on options when you get to that point.

I will make an observation. Since a heavy rear bumper is not an absolute, and having a trunk area far at the rear is not advisable, I will move the rear wheel backward within that body envelope. Maybe 6 inches or something. However, in my cad sampler, I will try to keep some sort of volume for possible structure supporting a small bumper.

Your posted image is probably about right, or very close to it.

Last time I tried this exercise was with a severely truncated Cobalt
Cobalt80.png

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK then.... then there is this guy. (wider track width .. PLEASE!)
trikedout3.jpg

trikedout6.jpg
trikedout1.jpg
trikedout7.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of funny, and then there is not so funny... this one hurts my eyes.

Hurts the eyes and I don't find it on topic at all for my thread, respectfully.

However, the first one above is right on point, and in many ways could be a smaller brother to my build, and I thank you for posting it, the front panels give me insights to possible layouts for mine, welcome to post any others very similar that are also "on point" :-)

trikedout6.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, I examined 5 variations on the theme of a rear skirt. Pictured below are the results. The rear contours of my cad model is not exactly like the actual body in work. So I have had to improvise and compromise to get a usable set of artwork.
Personally, from the point of view of getting easy access to the rear tire for maintenance etc, I like the more open wheel design, probably the last one.. here is the link to the model where you can roll it around in your browser to see all angles, or download should you wish to.
CarModel5_0.png
CarModel5_2.png
CarModel5_1.png
CarModel5_3.png
CarModel5_4.png
CarModel5_5.png
CarModel5_6.png
CarModel5.png

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, I examined 5 variations on the theme of a rear skirt.
skirt.png

Thanks to you for your effort, and I like this one. I think it looks more complete, and easy to hide stuff as well, like storage space, the fuel tank and spare wheel :-)

Access to the rear wheel should be balance by how many punctures one might expect in a life time, eg; not that many.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 24918

Thanks to you for your effort, and I like this one. I think it looks more complete, and easy to hide stuff as well, like storage space, the fuel tank and spare wheel :-)

Access to the rear wheel should be balance by how many punctures one might expect in a life time, eg; not that many.
While it is way too early, Please allow for a trailer hitch when finalized.

Top Bottom