• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I really like about this build is that from the beginning it has been engineered and not just put together as a one-off. This can be duplicated and that takes extra thinking. Thank you Mark for inspiring us.

If it was a "one off" I would have been driving around in it long ago.

It's the 'aimed for production' process that takes 3 times as long in order to be able to replicate them cost effective, efficiently, and in numbers. .

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Next up is the rear swingarm. Today I ground off the old pivot bushes as they will have to be relocated.

I will eventually have a much nicer looking swingarm later, but this mule will do the job for the moment.

rear arm 1.jpg

Things will be a bit slow over the next week, I have decided to cut my factory into 60/40 so I only keep the 60% and halve the rent (I have a good landlord) and the 40% can be rented out, so I have to organise everything I have stored from the other end, sort it, figure where it will go, throw out junk, and clean up at the same time. I will be doing this over the next week.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio commented the space under the dash was very crowded with equipment and wiring. Perhaps a computer monitor would reduce that clutter, but having to reach behind the steering wheel would be awkward.

Perhaps have two monitors, with one on each side, showing the same or different information. Then the driver only has to reach to the side of the steering wheel. China has lots of electronic expertise to offer.

It is so nice being an armchair designer. You can imagine all you want to and never have to actually solve any problems.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio commented the space under the dash was very crowded with equipment and wiring. Perhaps a computer monitor would reduce that clutter, but having to reach behind the steering wheel would be awkward.

Perhaps have two monitors, with one on each side, showing the same or different information. Then the driver only has to reach to the side of the steering wheel. China has lots of electronic expertise to offer.

It is so nice being an armchair designer. You can imagine all you want to and never have to actually solve any problems.
This display idea reminded me of the Elio Infinite Skyz option. Looking at that companies website, they still say they will be updating the web page soon. What a laugh. For them I guess soon means more than five years. Looking at it's management team on Linkin they still are active but they are working for other companies too. Guess it looks good on a resume, but one has to wonder what they've actually accomplished.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

At 1.23 minutes in my video, the "speedo" contains everything from door open, fuel gauge, indicator lights etc. The tacho is the smaller one upper left.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So getting back to the action, back up on the bench and the rear swingarm fitted up, and the fuel tank positioned accordingly.

Bonus is after the move, the exciting new background decor, that includes my microwave and fridge, water cooler and lunchtime seating.

swingarm 1.jpg

I'm quite fond of the '3 bend' side roll bars, will give an open version a sleek look I think

Top Bottom