• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to think this way, but it just doesn't work for me. Lived in Texas for nearly 80 years. I can stand the heat, but "COLD" goes clear to the bone.

120°; no problem. It's uncomfortable but not intolerable. 20° or below; I'm in hibernation!
I think that was true back in the day, what 2008? Now I think $12k will still entertain possible buyers.
I mean back in 2012? or so, after they went to the cheaper engine, the cheapest car in the US was a Smart Car at a base of $13k USD.
If now you offer anything all-weather and freeway ready, at $12k it will look pretty darn attractive.

But this all depends on the volume. $12k is to attract a bulk of buyers. A higher price will attract a smaller but different crowd.

JMO
With the runaway prices of both new and used cars here in the U.S. – $12K would definitely turn heads. $10K will SNAP their heads around though. I admire this project and Mark's goals. If others of the past had gone after it like Mark has – we'd now be rolling around in enclosed 3-wheelers – sipping on gas.

I got the faith we still will.... ;)

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If now you offer anything all-weather and freeway ready, at $12k it will look pretty darn attractive.

But this all depends on the volume. $12k is to attract a bulk of buyers. A higher price will attract a smaller but different crowd.

Sub 10K isn't a problem, how "sub" is the question.

The only thing that concerns me is the price of interstate shipping in the USA.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sub 10K isn't a problem, how "sub" is the question.

"Back in the day", when folks believed Elio wasn't "too far" from being a reality..... there were a bunch of people around here that indicated they would travel half across the country to pick their ride up at Shreveport.... if that were to be an option. They wanted to pick it up and drive it home.

How many guys around here would either drive or fly to pick up a Mongrel at port? I would. I suspect others would too.

Would it be feasible to ship to East, West and Texas ports? Just asking.... I have no idea what I'm talking about here. ;)

Added: I guess some of that depends on whether it comes to the States ready to drive or if needs to go through final assembly over here?

Last edited:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would it be feasible to ship to East, West and Texas ports? Just asking.... I have no idea what I'm talking about here. ;)

Added: I guess some of that depends on whether it comes to the States ready to drive or if needs to go through final assembly over here?
A Texas port! Yeah, that's it! Yeah, that's the ticket! I could do that!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Back in the day", when folks believed Elio wasn't "too far" from being a reality..... there were a bunch of people around here that indicated they would travel half across the country to pick their ride up at Shreveport.... if that were to be an option. They wanted to pick it up and drive it home.

How many guys around here would either drive or fly to pick up a Mongrel at port? I would. I suspect others would too.

Arcimoto (manufactured in Eugene OR) partnered with DHL for shipping their FUV. Based on owner comments, shipping ranges $1200-$2000. The $2K was cross country-Oregon to Florida. I had arranged for private enclosed shipping to CouerdAlene, ID (500 miles( for $795.
Note: The Canadian based ElectraMecannica has a manufacturing partner in China. Apparently shipping is so expensive they are in the process of selecting a USA manufacturing site in AZ. I recall only a few SOLOs shipped to USA and Canadian Dealerships for marketing and test drives. A few private Canadian owners bought Beta Solos that were assembled in Canada. BEX - SHREVEPORT?

My greatest concern was and still IS the availability of local service and parts For any new startup. I have to rely on Tesla mobile service, but haven’t had any service required issues in over 2 years of ownership. Time will tell how mobile service options works. :)

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Similar to @84mpg, I'll be quite happy to fly anywhere in the US to pick up my Mongrel and drive it back to the desert.
I was kind of hoping you'd come over with the first shipment of Mongrels so I could take you to lunch. I bet you have some great stories!!

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's see what Mark comes up with, then we can think about importing.

I can't help but wonder why he doesn't have a "team" working on the prototype with him. Seems to me time is a factor and with the cost of everything going up and people being more cost-conscious, the sooner the better.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's see what Mark comes up with, then we can think about importing.

I can't help but wonder why he doesn't have a "team" working on the prototype with him. Seems to me time is a factor and with the cost of everything going up and people being more cost-conscious, the sooner the better.
He's lived and worked there for years and years, got all the connections , etc I'm sure when the time comes, his team will be ready.

Top Bottom