• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Y'knooow...

I just looked at some of the rear camera/monitor rigs that are available on Ebay and I've decided that's the best way to go.
There are quite a few nice ones to choose from and they're really not very expensive.
Some of them are wireless and some have night vision.
My concern and only use for a camera/monitor system is seeing what's directly behind me only while I'm backing up.
If the Elio has a sun visor (I sure hope it will) I'll either recess mount a monitor in the visor or with hinges on the "ceiling".
Flip it down when I'm ready to back the vehicle up and flip it back up and away when I'm done.

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I recently bought a two camera system. crash cam toward the front and a rear cam. $50.
having a screen located where the rearview mirror should be will help keep the habit of looking at it.
Since the Elio is an"and" car, I will be switching back and forth a lot. I wouldn't want to forget to check the rearview after driving
the elio for a week
I wouldn't worry much about switching vehicles, it's pretty automatic. The controls for a motorcycle are totally different than those of a car, but I don't forget where the brakes are. And I switch between a standard transmission vehicle with a standard window/mirror setup and a big automatic truck with no back windows on a daily basis and there really is no transition problem, even though so much of the driving is different. I don't forget that one has a mirror and the other doesn't or anything like that. I guess the short of it is just don't overthink it.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry much about switching vehicles, it's pretty automatic. The controls for a motorcycle are totally different than those of a car, but I don't forget where the brakes are. And I switch between a standard transmission vehicle with a standard window/mirror setup and a big automatic truck with no back windows on a daily basis and there really is no transition problem, even though so much of the driving is different. I don't forget that one has a mirror and the other doesn't or anything like that. I guess the short of it is just don't overthink it.

I definitely agree with you on this as I also switch between a variety of vehicles on a regular basis without issue. I have a motorcycle, a Honda Civic with a manual transmission, a diesel automatic Ford F-350 crew cab which is frequently used for towing, and a full size Ford Econoline conversion van which is also available for towing. I have never had an issue where I was confused as to what was available to me in the vehicle I was driving or when I am towing a trailer.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you on this as I also switch between a variety of vehicles on a regular basis without issue. I have a motorcycle, a Honda Civic with a manual transmission, a diesel automatic Ford F-350 crew cab which is frequently used for towing, and a full size Ford Econoline conversion van which is also available for towing. I have never had an issue where I was confused as to what was available to me in the vehicle I was driving or when I am towing a trailer.

I agree. Having had and operated:
Coasters
Tricycles
Bicycles
Go Carts
Motor Scooters
Motorcycles
Power Boats
Automobiles, manual and automatic transmissions and towing trailers, right hand drive included
Pickups and Trucks, manual and automatic transmissions and towing trailers
Forklifts
Cranes
Airplanes, single and multi engine
Helicopters
And some other obscure things that were powered by something other than me.
They all had different fueling ports (those that required fuel) and different operating characteristics and somehow I managed.
I really don't think "anyone" will have a problem operating the Elio.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
+1, and congrats Dustoff, I do believe you have conrolled more types of vehicles than I have, but you did not mention any underwater types, so at least I may have you beat below the surface, lol.
I'm not sure forgetting to brake on the boat ramp counts :p

Top Bottom