• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of seeing P4 for the first time last weekend. My $6800 expectations were far exceeded. I tried searching the site for some clues on my questions - but wasn't able to get exactly what I was looking for. So I ask... On the P4, I noticed - and not sure if others did, that the side mirrors were very small - likely limiting rear visibility. Especially for an enclosed auto-cycle. Hope the engineers rethink this - and also incorporate a blind spot detection alerting system to light up when the blind spot is occupied. Any idea if larger side mirrors and blind spot alerting would even be available?

Also, with no rear view mirror, I for one would like to see a "full time" rear view camera in place of the nonexistent rear view" mirror. Not sure others would, but I would go for it.

Still very much looking forward to getting mine.

Bill #8341
I understand the side view mirrors are going to be larger. A rear view camera I believe will be an option. Actually, I understand the only issue in the rear through the mirrors would be something small directly behind the Elio. There is a very small blind spot. Several people have commented on getting much better visibility than they expected when they sat in the Elio and had someone stand directly behind it. I am not familiar with blind spot detection alerting systems so I can't say anything about that. :-) Z

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Visor.jpg
View attachment 2905
A couple birds with one stone.....
rear view mirror, visor, spoiler and stop lights and blinkers

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, when I sat in the Elio, I looked up for rear view mirror, hummmm not there. Then I looked in side mirrors, kinda small, but I could see everyone standing behind the vehicle, including the guy on the floor looking under the rear skirt. I don't see a problem with the blind spot but then again, I've driven a straight truck, semi truck and 72 passenger school bus with 72 screaming kids on board. If you don't know what's behind you, get out and look around. As far as parking lots go, I usually park far enough away from others so I can see when backing out or pull through and go out nose first. Just my thoughts!

Macadamean

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Here is a quick 'n' dirty picture I made as an example of the rear view. I'm not really worried about it. A child would have to be right behind you to not notice them. Any turn of the wheel while backing up and you would see what was just behind you. I will not be getting a backup camera.

Attachments

• elioRearView.jpg
    elioRearView.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 777

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a quick 'n' dirty picture I made as an example of the rear view. I'm not really worried about it. A child would have to be right behind you to not notice them. Any turn of the wheel while backing up and you would see what was just behind you. I will not be getting a backup camera.

Nice! Pretty much settles it for me! No back up camera required. Saving my money for a descent radar detector.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Me neither. The rear view mirrors will be larger on the production Elio and this photo supplements your Q&D picture.
image.jpg

evboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't you guys think elio is going to get sued for not having the rear view camera standard. Once that first child is killed when someone backs up,its going to be millions in lawsuits. There excuse will be to use the side mirrors but i doubt you can see a 7 year old if he is behind it. Isn't it worth the few extra bucks that these cameras probably cost now. I think they are opening a can of worms from lawyers

Top Bottom