• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For over 25 years I rode with some kind of radar detector on the dash or clipped to my visor. I've even built a very sophisticated Valentine One into one of my cars, and it was extremely effective, but technology has long ago outdistanced the X, K, Ka, receivers, and lasers are a whole different matter.

Today, most traffic enforcement police have gone to laser guns (lidar), that are instant-on. When you appear in the cop's sights and he pulls the trigger, that's the first indication you will get of his presence. Because they are so tightly focused, there is little if any "scatter" that might warn you of a speed trap ahead. When your alarm goes off, it is simply telling you to reach for your wallet. If your jammer, even a "quick-draw" variety, detects a radar signal and begins to disrupt its return, you are gambling that you have the faster gun. Most police officers know to pull that trigger at minimal range to eliminate the time lag between acquisition and response. If you are depending on your jammer reading a low-level signal below the return threshold, the guy holding the gun is on to you; they don't take long-range shots. The manufacturers and some reviewers seem to be impressed with the jammers' performance, but their real-world effectiveness is diminishing daily, thanks to better equipment and much improved training.

My other concern is with the legality of the jammer. As a transmitter broadcasting above 100 mw, it has to be federally licensed. That's going to be a tough one. Don't look for Uncle Sugar to be endorsing your attempt to circumvent the law. Rather than getting busted for a speeding ticket, you could be liable for up to ten years in federal prison. Could it happen? Not likely, but if someone decides to haul you up on FCC charges and make an example of you, they have the option to do so.

I've found the ultimate solution to having to listen to radar detectors screeching at me for every door-opener and burglar alarm I pass: stay within the speed limit. Know where the cops hide out and be careful in those areas. Another bonus of touring the two-lane . . . the cops are all out on the Interstate. ;)

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't hide a radar detector fast enough you can be hit with a multi-thousand dollar fine in some areas. I prefer to use Waze with people reporting speed traps as they pass them and being displayed to everyone else. On the interstates there's a wazer passing every point every ten minutes or less and so is reasonably good for this.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you don't hide a radar detector fast enough you can be hit with a multi-thousand dollar fine in some areas. I prefer to use Waze with people reporting speed traps as they pass them and being displayed to everyone else. On the interstates there's a wazer passing every point every ten minutes or less and so is reasonably good for this.
Back in my daz it was called a CB Radio. A driver would see a Smoky and report it to everyone in the area.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did that too, but a handful of ignorant and foul mouthed individuals holding their own private talk show on a kilowatt radio that covered most of the continental US made it pretty useless. For the past few years when traveling in convoy with friends, we use those little FRS radios for private communication over a half-mile or so.

reluctorvalve

Elio Fan
Reaction score
All,
Some weeks ago I read a news article that described the upcoming requirement of backup cameras to be installed as standard gear in all new US-sold cars under 10,000 lbs. beginning in 2018. I don't recall the exact article, but here is the NHTSA link:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pr...nal+Rule+Requiring+Rear+Visibility+Technology

This topic may have already been covered in-depth here before - I'm new here, so I don't know. But, I would think that with the Elio still being in the design phases that perhaps they should make the rear-view camera standard on all of their vehicles from the get-go, just to be ahead of the game. Especially since the Elio has zero visibility directly to the rear view.

What have you all heard about Elio's plans, if any, for this "standard.?" In speaking recently with Elio folks down in Phx at Chandler Fashion Square, it was described as an "upcoming option."
r-.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All,
Some weeks ago I read a news article that described the upcoming requirement of backup cameras to be installed as standard gear in all new US-sold cars under 10,000 lbs. beginning in 2018. I don't recall the exact article, but here is the NHTSA link:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About NHTSA/Press Releases/2014/NHTSA Announces Final Rule Requiring Rear Visibility Technology

This topic may have already been covered in-depth here before - I'm new here, so I don't know. But, I would think that with the Elio still being in the design phases that perhaps they should make the rear-view camera standard on all of their vehicles from the get-go, just to be ahead of the game. Especially since the Elio has zero visibility directly to the rear view.

What have you all heard about Elio's plans, if any, for this "standard.?" In speaking recently with Elio folks down in Phx at Chandler Fashion Square, it was described as an "upcoming option."
r-.
There has been some discussion but definitely as a potential option rather than standard equipment. For one thing the Elio is still considered a motorcycle so does not require the same technology cars do. They are choosing to meet the 5 star safety rating because it is good for business and for Elio. However, that is also not required. They plan to have the Elio tested the same as a car would be but NHTSA or whoever does testing after a vehicle is on the market will most likely not test it. The advantage of keeping the Elio a mc is so it does not have to meet all the many requirements for cars. To meet those would extend the time frame for and cost of production dramatically from what I understand. There are several people on the forum who are much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject. Of course most of them are in the Eastern time zone so are in bed by now. LOL :-) Z

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There has been some discussion but definitely as a potential option rather than standard equipment. For one thing the Elio is still considered a motorcycle so does not require the same technology cars do. They are choosing to meet the 5 star safety rating because it is good for business and for Elio. However, that is also not required. They plan to have the Elio tested the same as a car would be but NHTSA or whoever does testing after a vehicle is on the market will most likely not test it. The advantage of keeping the Elio a mc is so it does not have to meet all the many requirements for cars. To meet those would extend the time frame for and cost of production dramatically from what I understand. There are several people on the forum who are much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject. Of course most of them are in the Eastern time zone so are in bed by now. LOL :) Z

FYI........................... : http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+FAQ :)

Top Bottom