• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Norahsbed Banter Thread.....

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I need to hang with you guys and gals more...after tomorrow, of course!
Hey Earl you can hang with us anytime!:D As for tomorrow I planned ahead and made a few low carb side dishes. Whipped sweet potatoes with low carb milk, orange peel, and small amount of fresh OJ and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Top that with a sprinkle of brown sugar Splenda blend and toasted pecans. For dressing I made a wild rice, brown rice and quinoa mix with onions, celery, low sugar dried cranberries, Granny Smith Apple, poultry seasoning and low sodium chicken broth and topped with toasted pine nuts. Dessert is a low sugar, low fat no bake pumpkin cheesecake with a pecan, oatmeal crust. Besides the turkey there will be standard stuffing, mashed potatoes, regular pumpkin, and apple pie for those who are not watching their carbs. However I will break my low carb diet with a piece of homemade lefse. It's just not Thanksgiving without lefse!:) Guess that means an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill :rolleyes:.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds good, but I'm staying diet free through tomorrow.

Lefse isn't half the problem the butter and sugar I put on it probably is.

Can we discuss how bad for ya lutefisk is?
OMG! I can't stand lutefisk :confused: but my Mom can't wait for the church lutefisk and Swedish meatball dinner every year! This year 3 of her brothers, sister, sister-in-law and several nieces and nephews all went to the dinner in Barnsville. Mom said it was some of the best lutefisk she'd ever had, I'll take her word for it! :rolleyes: Is there any other way to eat lefse, than loaded with sugar and butter!;)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds good, but I'm staying diet free through tomorrow.

Lefse isn't half the problem the butter and sugar I put on it probably is.

Can we discuss how bad for ya lutefisk is?
OMG! I can't stand lutefisk :confused: but my Mom can't wait for the church lutefisk and Swedish meatball dinner every year! This year 3 of her brothers, sister, sister-in-law and several nieces and nephews all went to the dinner in Barnsville. Mom said it was some of the best lutefisk she'd ever had, I'll take her word for it! :rolleyes: Is there any other way to eat lefse, than loaded with sugar and butter!;)
OK you two. What is Lefse? If it has lots of butter and sugar - well not too much sugar because I don't like ultra sweet things anymore - it must be good. LOL :-) Z

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry Z, I ate it all, so no pics.

It's a Norwegian potato flatbread. Heck, you could use it for a soft taco if you wanted. Best eaten warm, with butter and sugar, and rolled up. Add a dash of cinnamon if you want a little spice in your life.

This is the stuff I get when I can't get my aunt's homemade stuff. Pretty good eatin.

http://www.mrsolsonslefse.com/ have a look around their site. Lots of good pics, recipes, and even Ole and Lena jokes.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It's a Norwegian potato flatbread. Heck, you could use it for a soft taco if you wanted. Best eaten warm, with butter and sugar, and rolled up. Add a dash of cinnamon if you want a little spice in your life.

This is the stuff I get when I can't get my aunt's homemade stuff. Pretty good eatin.

http://www.mrsolsonslefse.com/ have a look around their site. Lots of good pics, recipes, and even Ole and Lena jokes.
I suspect it is not gluten free. Otherwise, it looks great. Thanks for sharing. :-) Z

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect it is not gluten free. Otherwise, it looks great. Thanks for sharing. :) Z
No Z, it's not gluten free, it's made from boiled russet potatoes, flour, a pinch of salt and depending on who's recipe, lard, butter or shortning. Lard makes the most tender and authentic tasting Norwegian lefse. Swedes make theirs completely different, no potatoes at all, Uff-da! Most commercial companies now use dehydrated potato flakes, shortning and preservatives. It doesn't make very good lefse!
You take 1/4 cup of dough and shape it into a puck and chill it. After it is chilled you roll it out very thin into a circle, with a special rolling pin, then score it with another special rolling pin. You lift it up with a lefse stick ( a long thin piece of wood flat on one side and curved on the other ) and place it on a griddle. The trick is to cook it on one side and then flip it, to cook the other side, without tearing it, under cooking it ( pasty and gummy ) or over cooking it ( dry crisp edges ) it's not as easy as it sounds, trust me. We have passed down from generation to generation the family recipe, knowledge and skills of lefse making. Many people consider lefse making an art form and most certainly a skill that takes years to master ( to make really good lefse ). My maternal Grandmother was the best lefse roller ever and my Grandfather was the best and most talented lefse griller I've ever known. They were a pair to watch in action when it came to lefse making. No matter how hard we try, our lefse has never been as good as theirs! Moms runs a very close second though, I guess it was all those years of watching the Masters at work! :)Grandma was such a talented roller, ( when they retired from farming and moved into town ), she worked for a local lefse company well into her very late 70's, they hated to see her finally retire. My daughter and niece have been doing the lefse making, for the holidays for several years now and are getting better at it with each passing year! There are always stories to tell about the mishaps, of years past.
Example.... One year my Mom came to Denver to teach my daughter and niece how to make lefse. We had put the dough pucks out on the patio table to cool down. Then we all sat down to have a cup of coffee. A few minutes later we looked out the patio door and a flock of Ravens were having a field day eating our dough pucks. They had pulled back the towels and were munching away on our first batch. :eek: You've never seen 4 women move so fast, to try and save little pucks of potato dough. LOL! :D The Ravens hung around the rest of the day hoping for another batch.

Lutefisk on the other hand is disgusting! :confused: It is dried Cod fish soaked in a lye bath for several hours ( or days ) to reconstitute it and then baked it in a boat load of butter.:confused: o_O I'll stick with Swedish meatballs.:)

Last edited:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Earl, I can't believe you eat Mrs. Olsons lefse! That's nasty stuff! Try Carl's lefse from Hawley, MN 100% better than Mrs. Olson's. Another really good brand is Freddie's not sure where it's made but trust me, any ones is better than Mrs.Olson's!

Top Bottom