• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

Blueskybob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes, I have heard that too but since this V5 of tech talk has come out, I have heard as quoted from one who went too one of the shows, that the inset displays for RPM and MPH will not be dials but Digital Displays about 1" or so high. So the display in this tech talk is not accurate. This has been a point of heated debate for a while. I am taking a wait and see approach after I sent a letter to EM stating my preferences. I will also supplement whatever display there is with a feed into a Ipad type mini size display which can also give me much more detailed info about what is happening in the engine than warning lights can. Here is one example, in fact these guys could even put your own dash in a tablet if you like. https://www.palmerperformance.com/
There are a lot out there, and I am sure displays will be improving and evolving even more in the next several months. :)

EDIT! Looks like in the time it took me to type this, several beat me to the punch with even more up to date info. LOL Well done!

PhilGoings

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't want a remote start, this winter vehicles with remote start have been stolen at a higher rate than other vehicles. The reason? Thieves are taking cars sitting on driveways that have already been started and are unattended while heating up.
If you break into my car after remote start and try to drive off it will quit running.

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio design should have incorporated a double DIN opening for the radio. That way it would have been easy to purchase a entertainment system that included GPS, XM, Serious, DVD, MP3 and all the hands free stuff available without having wires all over the place. It's water under the bridge now but it would have been a great design feature.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio design should have incorporated a double DIN opening for the radio. That way it would have been easy to purchase a entertainment system that included GPS, XM, Serious, DVD, MP3 and all the hands free stuff available without having wires all over the place. It's water under the bridge now but it would have been a great design feature.
Perhaps it's not too late and the cost differential between a standard AM/FM radio shouldn't be that much. As a minimum it should be an option

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you're concerned about the entertainment system, Pioneer (for example) has a nice 1 DIN box that will do AM-FM-SAT, with Bluetooth connectivity to your smartphone for under $200. It should be plug-and-play. Garmin produces a nice GPS for about the same price that has lifetime maps, traffic and weather info, and Bluetooth for hands-free calling. Between the two you can do just about anything you want but watch a movie. For that I already have a portable DVD player/monitor that can hang in a "knapsack" from the back of the driver's seat to keep my backseater entertained on a boring Interstate traverse. By separating the infotainment package into three pieces I can upgrade each as necessary without tossing out the whole system and starting over.

Then we need to look at how we use the vehicle and what features we will actually use from day to day. For commuting I listen to an all-news format AM or FM station while enjoying a hot cuppa coffee. It's my equivalent of reading the morning news. During the day I may visit a couple of new locations, for business or personal shopping, requiring the GPS. In the evening I want a nice selection of music for the commute home. Weekends I may want the GPS for touring, with a variety of music sources, including my Pandora account. So far, that's pretty simple.

The entertainment in the backseat along with the DVD system could include my RIO's own smartphone for gaming or music. OK, I'm up to three power ports, and conveniently the Elio can provide for those needs. However, just to be neat, I'd probably hardwire the GPS and the charging pad for my smartphone just to reduce the jumble of wires to the power ports. While I'm wiring, I may want to install a sub-panel in the back seat with USB and "cigarette lighter" ports for my passenger just to keep from running several cables under my right arm to the wayback. Now about that inverter . . . hmmm. I may need a bigger alternator. :confused:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you're concerned about the entertainment .........

Then we need to look at how we use the vehicle and what features we will actually use from day to day. For commuting I listen to an all-news format AM or FM station while enjoying a hot cuppa coffee. It's my equivalent of reading the morning news. During the day I may visit a couple of new locations, for business or personal shopping, requiring the GPS. In the evening I want a nice selection of music for the commute home. Weekends I may want the GPS for touring, with a variety of music sources, including my Pandora account. So far, that's pretty simple.
:confused:
I travel a lot and I want Satellite radio for several reasons. One of which is the major city traffic stations and the other is being able to listen to a consistent radio station on long trips. I can use my Garmin GPS with only a power outlet but do not have a portable satellite radio and do not want another device "hung" somewhere in the drivers compartment

Top Bottom