• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll ---- Your interest in an electric Elio ?

Are you likely to be in the market for such a vehicle ?

• YES

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • NO

Votes: 46 54.1%

• Total voters

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think this poll seems to be interesting; 69 percent don't want an electric or hybrid being their next vehicle.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think this poll seems to be interesting; 69 percent don't want an electric or hybrid being their next vehicle.
That's great news for Elio and shows they are on the correct path to electrification. I'd say that just 10 years ago that the number would have been 99.% and now it's dropped 30 points. So it shows the growing demand for electric vehicles over ICE. Elio will be on this great wave of investment and new tech that will bring us to the next level. It's like when it came to online shopping. 20 years ago, brick and mortar stores along with shopping malls were all the rage. Now it's online shopping. Same for banking and other things. Who knew we would be using cell phones like we do or that we could use a non physical keyboard cell phone? So, it's great to see this shift and that we can now expand upon that change in technology.

I sent this to Elio Motors and now they will see that going ICE will be a bad move as it's proven that the shift is now happening. Thanks for bringing this to my (and Elio Motors) attention.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Problem with most questions is that they tend to be biased. Just because 69 percent don't want an EV as their next vehicle doesn't mean they won't eventually want one. Right now the prices are too high and the technology is too new to instill confidence that they will be a good purchase. For instance, if EV's are so reliable, why aren't they all warranted for a much longer time? Truth is they don't really know how long the batteries will last and are predicting. And then there is the resale value. Who would want to buy an old EV if they then must spend thousands more for a new battery? And now I hear that some manufacturers are having you pay a monthly fee for items such as seat warmers. Really? As technology advances, sometime the old will no longer be supported. Take for instance the cell connection new cars use for things such as road maps. The 3G network is being shut down and unless you get an upgraded modem some feature won't work. Sometimes the upgrade is free, other times not. Think I'll keep my 1998 Plymouth Voyager van with just over 100K miles until I quit driving. Retiring at end of this year so I expect my driving will be significantly reduced after that.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another problem with Electric is they don't work for everybody. Very often my job take me over 300 miles for a one day job. Electrics won't do that.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is why if you look at cell phones and their history. At one time, they were super expensive and had very limited coverage. At that, there are still places that have no coverage thus a land line is required today. Not for everyone but it’s just an alternate method of communication which in just the last 25 years became dominant. I see EV’s doing the same but it’s still an emerging technology and in just 10 years from now, the automotive landscape will look much different than today.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is why if you look at cell phones and their history. At one time, they were super expensive and had very limited coverage. At that, there are still places that have no coverage thus a land line is required today. Not for everyone but it’s just an alternate method of communication which in just the last 25 years became dominant. I see EV’s doing the same but it’s still an emerging technology and in just 10 years from now, the automotive landscape will look much different than today.
When comparing cell phones to the hardwired land lines, consider that probably none of the older cell phones are able to use the newer towers. On the other hand, the hard wired phones are still usable if they have tone capabilities. Not sure if the older rotary phone still work or not.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Truth is they don't really know how long the batteries will last and are predicting.

The biggest concern to me around this is how are these batteries recycled? If the numbers of EV cars on the road ramps up as predicted, this is going to be a big problem. I was reading some about this the other day. From what I can tell, currently there's no good way to do it and few places that even try.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Battery Recycling:

1644383203381.png

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The biggest concern to me around this is how are these batteries recycled? If the numbers of EV cars on the road ramps up as predicted, this is going to be a big problem. I was reading some about this the other day. From what I can tell, currently there's no good way to do it and few places that even try.

Electra Battery Materials https://electrabmc.com/ is currently starting up a cobalt refinery that should start up this year and next year will also start recycling battery materials. Also, one of the Japanese companies is looking to build battery recycling plants in Europe and the USA by 2025.
That said, it's only economically viable to recycle if it's profitable. The better batteries typically contain more valuable materials, some of the less expensive types that use iron may not be worth recycling unless there is some kind of government incentive.

Top Bottom