• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Potholes

roadtrippin2016

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Have you all discussed how to best approach obstacles, potholes, road debris, and such?
I wrote about this over a year ago on this website. My experience is with a three wheeled motorcycle...two wheels in front with a third trailing wheel dead center of the two in front. It's a PROBLEM PERIOD ! ...You just have to choose your roads you drive regularly. The rear trailing wheel is the one that usually takes the bulk of most of your pot holes and recessed man hole covers. I live in Austin,Texas and our Congress Ave. has recessed man hole covers that drop about 3 - 4 inches !...they are placed in the middle of lane...not a problem for 4-wheeled vehicles. If you swerve quickly you can avoid the rear wheel...but, you better know getting out of your driving lane even briefly poses traffic following too close to oncoming traffic. I love the ELIO a lot and can't wait to get one...but after my three wheeled experience I will chose the best and smoothest roads when possible...other roads I'm unfamiliar with if the pot hole is seen in time...SLOW DOWN !...better the rear rim take the lightest impact as possible. Swerve when safe enough to do so. I'm just sayin

AndyT3

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say, I can't imagine those front coil over shocks will have much travel, making for a rougher ride.

I remember when I had my 08 Smart, it was a pretty harsh ride when it came to imperfections in the road. Of course, it was the same deal; front coil overs were so short, that they didn't have the travel that we are used to on larger vehicles.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You also have to take into consideration, the angle of the shock (when mounted) or strut and the weight on the wheel.
Greater angle will give a smoother travel. Then other things come into play.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wrote about this over a year ago on this website. My experience is with a three wheeled motorcycle...two wheels in front with a third trailing wheel dead center of the two in front. It's a PROBLEM PERIOD ! ...You just have to choose your roads you drive regularly. The rear trailing wheel is the one that usually takes the bulk of most of your pot holes and recessed man hole covers. I live in Austin,Texas and our Congress Ave. has recessed man hole covers that drop about 3 - 4 inches !...they are placed in the middle of lane...not a problem for 4-wheeled vehicles. If you swerve quickly you can avoid the rear wheel...but, you better know getting out of your driving lane even briefly poses traffic following too close to oncoming traffic. I love the ELIO a lot and can't wait to get one...but after my three wheeled experience I will chose the best and smoothest roads when possible...other roads I'm unfamiliar with if the pot hole is seen in time...SLOW DOWN !...better the rear rim take the lightest impact as possible. Swerve when safe enough to do so. I'm just sayin
Common sense based on experience! Thank you!

Reactions: Ekh

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio lighting for night driving potholes =>>>>>help

I am all in with an Elio. Great vision all the way around. I just hope the headlamps illuminate the road surface very well. My drive to and from work is mainly on country roads (22 miles). Those roads do not have road reflectors, no road lighting lamp posts. There are pot holes and road kill on these roads. I just hope the Elio lighting will be ample illumination on the roads surface and not just there so others can see us. I hope for ample lighting to view roadway surface (so I can spot potholes & road kill on my county 2-lane roads). Will fog lamp or lower front lights be an option (if just the two headlamps are not putting enough illumination on the road surface itself? I began riding motorcycles in 1968, motorcycle riding in the evening or early morning can confirm the normal beam was not the best for viewing the roadway surfaces clearly. A method of improvement then was to loosen two bolts and adjust down the headlamp (then sacrifice distance). I will not be able to do that on my Elio, so I just hope the two Elio headlamps also illuminate the road surface enough to spot potholes/roadkill on my way to work driving county roads in MD. I have enormous faith in Paul Elio and Team Elio:D! What percentage of the headlamp illuminated light must be visible downwards for the Elio (sub-motorcycle classification for headlamps)? We may have an advantage with Elio being classified under motorcycles for headlamps lighting the roadway surface or a disadvantage? Please some headlight light to illuminate down :rolleyes:
Thank you Paul Elio and Team Elio for this magnificent auto cycle 84 mpg hwy @ $6,8000.00!:D Thank you for this public rescue to get us work and back in this safe, weather proof autocycle @ 84 mpg! Hoorah for the ELIO :D
You can moutn a set of flamethrowers on the roof if you don't mind the mpg penalty.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Common sense based on experience! Thank you!

common-sense.jpg

Top Bottom