• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Potholes

ramy

Reaction score
I just left a suggestion on Elio's website regarding the potholes and rear suspension issue and they responded that they forwarded my suggestion to the right people.
you guys should do the same so they can address it as a real concern.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have seen a few lately that would have swallowed up that rear tire in a hurry, probably ripping out the rear skirt. Hitting them with a front wheel wouldnt be much better, probably result in a loss of control or some serious misalignment issues. There is a big sign they just put up in front of our local bodyshop -"Pothole Repairs done Here" -

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry just a little funny. I have never seen positive or productive results instigating union city workers! The odds of getting the entire team of 7 (1 to fill the hole, 6 to watch) to jump to your demand would be a miracle in itself. Sorry, in Chicago they fix it when they feel like it! Unless of coarse if its voter time!!
Local politicians get tired of being called 24 hours a day. Just sayin...

I seriously don't see potholes as a huge problem. Just a little driver awareness will get you around most of em. I see people every day hitting em because they're focused on the car in front of them and not the bigger picture.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been driving for many many years and have developed my strategy to maneuver around potholes with both cars and motorcycles. It will be a thrill to learn the avoiding process in a three wheeler.
What a pleasure to read someone who considers a change to be thrilling rather than something to be worried about. I like your attitude and agree wholeheartedly. There are going to be many things different about driving an Elio and I look forward to every one of them. :-) Z

GreatDanes

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
OOH! OOH! PICK ME! PICK ME! Riding a tadpole-style three wheel recumbent has taught me what we ALL will need to know!

1. You CANNOT split the difference between the front wheels as that will place the central rear wheel RIGHT IN the hole
2. You MUST keep the pothole between the center line and either wheel!
On my recumbent bicycle, I put my pedal over the pothole and I miss the hole with all wheels.

I have tried to draw a pic for your consideration.[Broken External Image]

mcg58

Elio Fan
Reaction score
OOH! OOH! PICK ME! PICK ME! Riding a tadpole-style three wheel recumbent has taught me what we ALL will need to know!

1. You CANNOT split the difference between the front wheels as that will place the central rear wheel RIGHT IN the hole
On my recumbent bicycle, I put my pedal over the pothole and I miss the hole with all wheels.

Exactly!!! I went riding the back roads and figured it on my motorcycle. Keep it close to the inside of a front tire then slight turn to the opposite side as you go over it for larger ones.

Thanks!

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score

As I have towed a trailer with a Harley Dyna and a Wing over much of this country, I have not found Pot Holes to be a problem. If you don't follow to closely to the vehicle in front, you will have time to 'Evaluate and Evade'.
I worked out a way to increase the distance between the tract of the bike wheels and the trailer wheels, if you encounter a pot hole on the left of your center line, just throw the bike sharply off center to the right, which will cause the trailer to go hard to the left, then narrowly skirt the pot hole. This will increase the distance between the bike wheels and the trailer wheels. If the pot hole is to big to work that out, just give it the gas and hope for the best.
This has worked out for me over many miles, so far.

Top Bottom