• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Prepped And Ready For E-series Assembly

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Random amateur observations:
  1. Nice big engine mounts. Going to need them in a 3-banger without a balance shaft.
  2. Hood hinge arms and mounts suggest two, 2-armed, articulated hinges far simpler than complicated P5 sliding arrangement.
  3. Rear hub is... odd. Why didn't they use an off-the-shelf hub with internal ABS reluctor? Why the Rube-Goldberg contraption? Hubs like this can handle 2000 lb, have internal sealed ABS sensors, and cost $75 retail for one:
    s-l225.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    :
  4. Rear swing-arm otherwise looks well done.
  5. Still adjustable coil-overs all around, so they are still fiddling with final ride height and strut length. Too be expected. We'll know it's really "production ready" when we see non-adjustable struts installed.
  6. Front plastic fender now has proper mounting flanges, unlike the P5. Good to see.
  7. Front strut-to-A-arm pushrod still adjustable with Heim joints. Again, that should go away and be replaced by fixed-length rod with proper sealed joints when it's "production ready".
  8. I seen an air bag in the A pillar.
  9. Gauges are conventional! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    elginmyass.jpg
  10. Elio looks good in white. :D

So, truly lovely to see progress, but this really is the "P6" production prototype to get the final dimensions and parts right. The "E2" will be the actual "E1", I think.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First, I suspect there is a buildup time involved in producing the 25. Maybe build 1, then 2, then 4, then 8 and then 10.

Second, the E-builds started this month, not 6 months ago.

Other than typical startup problems, I think they are on schedule to have the E series built and tested in time to set up the Fleet 100 in December. Even if that rolls into January, there's a bit of a lull before they will be ready to secure funding and begin hiring and training the production line personnel.

But I'm relatively new (Feb 16) and haven't been through the prior disappointments. Hopefully I won't.

Reactions: Ekh

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or does the right side panel (it's on the left side of this picture) show a carve out of some sort for the side exhaust pipe? Does this mean there won't be the "bulge" or it might be significantly less bulgy than on the P5? It would be great if it had a more purposefully designed-in look rather than an afterthought look.
image.jpeg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or does the right side panel (it's on the left side of this picture) show a carve out of some sort for the side exhaust pipe? Does this mean there won't be the "bulge" or it might be significantly less bulgy than on the P5? It would be great if it had a more purposefully designed-in look rather than an afterthought look.
View attachment 10578
The first panel in the foreground (the long one with a hole on the left edge is the "bulge" from the looks of it; it didn't shrink very much.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one, I'm seeing two different designs. Both mount points are behind the shock on the P5. Front and rear mount points on the E1.

Edit: scratch that. Was seeing something else. But it still looks different to me...:noidea:

I think what you are seeing is the right hand side on the P5 and the left hand side on the E1. That's why the lower A arm looks different in the two pictures. Upper A arm is definitely different.

Top Bottom