• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Road & Track Livestreams A Test Drive Of The P5. And The Fender Falls Off... :(

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Notice the sound of the P4 in this video. It has a very good sound. (Very nice video too)

This guy talks well too. He should be hired by the car magazines.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Be a good idea to read a bit more thru the various Sections and Threads to help answer your questions

Coss posted this in another thread and I believe may help give an idea and time line of what is involved and required to be involved before the Elio is ready for selling.

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/w...e-dozen-test-vehicles.7560/page-4#post-157315
Thx Acamara. It just bothers me that EM handed the keys to the P5 to RT w/out making sure that obvious problems are addressed (can't they smell the fumes?). Then using prototype as an excuse. It's like, go ahead and drive it, if the brakes fail on you, don't blame us, it's just a crude prototype! Here I go again. :D:D

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If EM is going to offer a large stock sale, a favorable review from Road & Track as well as Car & Driver would help boost the sale of stock. This may be what EM was intending.

Perhaps EM could try another approach. Car companies are very secretive about their prototypes in the evolution of a car and usually destroy them, not letting anyone see them. EM should do the opposite. They could gather all their prototypes and display them in a non-populated, open, and peaceful area and show them to the reporters of these two magazines. I suspect the reporters would like this very much. This may be the first time something like this has ever been done. The earlier prototypes may only be static displays, but the reporters could drive both the P4 and the P5 (with all its improvements).

As I say, this has probably never been done before. The reporters would like it very much and may even feel honored/privileged that a car company is doing this for them. They would feel more “valued” if Paul Elio himself took the time to be there and talk to them. This would make for a very good story, one I am sure they would love to print, since it would be a “first”.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If EM is going to offer a large stock sale, a favorable review from Road & Track as well as Car & Driver would help boost the sale of stock. This may be what EM was intending.

Perhaps EM could try another approach. Car companies are very secretive about their prototypes in the evolution of a car and usually destroy them, not letting anyone see them. EM should do the opposite. They could gather all their prototypes and display them in a non-populated, open, and peaceful area and show them to the reporters of these two magazines. I suspect the reporters would like this very much. This may be the first time something like this has ever been done. The earlier prototypes may only be static displays, but the reporters could drive both the P4 and the P5 (with all its improvements).

As I say, this has probably never been done before. The reporters would like it very much and may even feel honored/privileged that a car company is doing this for them. They would feel more “valued” if Paul Elio himself took the time to be there and talk to them. This would make for a very good story, one I am sure they would love to print, since it would be a “first”.
You got me thinking again,.Oh No!
It was a failure, give us another chance.
Oh much better, this one has power windows, gauge cluster and radio that work. A+ for effort.
Thank You RT for giving us a second chance.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It's always nice to have someone put things in proper perspective.
I used to campaign a couple of different show vehicles; one was mostly West Coast, the other was National and the truck was based in British Columbia;
I was one of the designers/fabricators/builders on it; it was called the Wider 69er.
So the owner would get a call, then call me and say it had to be in a show in Chicago in 4 days, and we had almost half of it apart making improvements. I spent many sleepless night; or slept on the floor under it while I was working on it cuz I was so tired.
We got it there, setup the whole show display, polished the truck, and I'd get another call asking if we could do Florida when the Chicago show was done.

So going and doing these show and tells were always a challenge, and there were times now and then that everything went like it was supposed to, and other times it was a giant FAIL for the whole weekend; it happens.
This was a $1.5mil show truck in 1976; and if I wanted the "fame and fortune" that came with it, it was part of the price you paid.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thx Acamara. It just bothers me that EM handed the keys to the P5 to RT w/out making sure that obvious problems are addressed (can't they smell the fumes?). Then using prototype as an excuse. It's like, go ahead and drive it, if the brakes fail on you, don't blame us, it's just a crude prototype! Here I go again. :D:D
I wonder if the fuel smell was related to the extra plumbing and gauges that Elio had on the P5 for shows. You know they had to drain that tank regularly for indoor shows. I'll bet that is what it was.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Nothing is obvious until it happens the first time.
Everything is instantly obvious to Monday morning quarterbacks.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I tried an failed to copy the EMAIL as well. But somebody here knows how because I've seen them before.

E1a - Braking/Traction - Continental - delivered 6/30/16

E1b - Integration/Match Car - Retained at the Pilot Center in Livonia, Mi. - under construction.

E1c - Marketing - Under Construction (will be completed AFTER the next two)

E1d - Chassis and Engine Testing - Under Construction.

E1e - Chassis and Engine Testing - Under Construction.

E1f-w still in pre-production.

The Next 18: Slamming, Skidding and Impact Testing Our Way to Success

Once we get through the brake, engine, and chassis tweaks, the real fun begins. Vehicles E1F through E1W will go through a gauntlet of tests for durability, aerodynamics, and safety. Here are just a few of the tests these vehicles will endure:

Wind Tunnel Testing

Reaching our target goal of up to 84 MPG requires maximizing our aerodynamics. This will require hours in the wind tunnel where minute details from the angle of the windshield to the width of the mirror will be tested and retested.

Extreme Temperature Tests

The Elio needs to work in the Phoenix heat, the Alaskan cold, and everything in between. We’ll test the vehicle in both extremes, making sure all the systems work properly whether its 120 degrees or minus 20 degrees.

Interior Driver Interaction

You’ve got to be comfortable in your Elio, right? We’ve got that covered too, as the E-Series will go through a litany of ergonomic tests to make sure the seats work and the controls are within reach.

Driveability

The E-Series will be tested for braking, cornering, acceleration, and top speed.

Door Slam/Deck Slam

How do you know the vehicle’s doors and trunk will work time and time again? Slam them shut over and over again. These tests will measure all the components in the door and trunk systems and how they stand up to long-term wear and tear.

Wiper Testing

Sure, it barely rains in our home in Phoenix, but we want people in Seattle to drive an Elio too! We’ll run the wipers again and again until they’re slappin’ out a tempo like the old Eddie Rabbit song to make sure that they work over the long haul.

Noise, Vibration, and Harshness

Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) testing is where we work on removing all the shakes, rattles and squeaks.

Paint Durability

We also want to make sure your Elio paint job lasts, too. We’ll go so far as pelting it with road salt and rocks to see how the paint job holds up.

Impact Testing

For those of you who remember Vince and Larry, the public service announcement crash dummies, well, maybe we’ve got a job for them here. Even though we are not required by law, safety testing is extremely important to our long-term goals. We’ll be taking the E-Series vehicles and subjecting them to many of the same rigorous impact tests that NHTSA mandates for vehicle manufacturers.

Like we said, it’s a gauntlet of tests. But, like those tough two-a-day practices that give a football team its edge, we’re in the vehicle version of training camp. And, we’ll work our tails off to make these the best vehicles possible.
OK,I finally got access to the mailing bout this. What's significantly missing -- assignment of a test car to do the gas mileage testing required by the DOE for the ATVM loan. Where is THAT in this planning?

Top Bottom