• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Send Email To Dop To Show Support For Elio Motors Loan.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not thrilled with .gov backing private enterprises, but at least this is an enterprise I believe in!

I think Elio has played their cards right to maximize the odds of getting .gov backing. Green technology (84 MPG), made in the USA components (85-90%), assembled in the USA (100%), a product that benefits the masses ($6800), existing market (27,000+ orders in hand), partnering with other major US manufacturers (too many to list), the proposition looks GREAT on paper from where I sit!!!

Lets hope .gov sees it that way too!

Let's hope so. The fly in Elio's loan application is in the requirement for 2,000 operating hours of the technology being supported by the loan. Which, as the poem goes, we have not got. These loans really are for manufacturing, not for development, and the gov't wants an established technology, not a baby one.

I'm not making this up; I have actually read the entire set of loan application requirements.

Because Elio is thin on that one requirement, I think that strong public support in the form of letters to the Dept. of Energy rally could make a difference. See my posts on that subject.

GaPawn

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Let's hope so. The fly in Elio's loan application is in the requirement for 2,000 operating hours of the technology being supported by the loan. Which, as the poem goes, we have not got. These loans really are for manufacturing, not for development, and the gov't wants an established technology, not a baby one.

I'm not making this up; I have actually read the entire set of loan application requirements.

Because Elio is thin on that one requirement, I think that strong public support in the form of letters to the Dept. of Energy rally could make a difference. See my posts on that subject.

I was under the impression that the .gov funds were to be for manufacturing, and that Elio already had funds in place to cover R&D. I could use some clarification on the "requirement of 2,000 operating hours of the technology being supported by the loan." I don't think I understand exactly what that means....

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking of sending;
To Mr. Peter Davidson
Loan Programs Office
Department of Energy
1000 Independence Ave SW
Washington, DC 20585
Re: Elio Motors ATVM application
Dear Mr Davidson;
I am a degree holder in the Automotive industry, with 6 years of research experience. I am also an expert in 3 wheel vehicle design. Just as a note, if you google on 3 wheel vehicles, some of my designs always come up in the images list. (Detalidon, OSCS, Atlantric, Taddy are some related tags)
I believe the Elio by Elio Motors to be stratigically important to the recovery of American ecconomic development.
I have no intention of lecturing yet another automotive engineer on the technical merits as well as the benefits of a 84MPG commuter vehicle that cost less to buy than the money it would save in fuel to drive. In the case of the Elio, this would be true for the average commuter in the US.
I understand this kind of technology, at the vehiucle Research Institute at Western Washington University we regularlly created 100mpg research vehicles starting around the late 70's under the direction of Dr.Seal.
But I do want to place in your mind, the realization that it would be stratigicaly significant to have this resource available to the US public while our ecconomy is in recovery and while Oil sources remain unpredictible, given the uncertainty of world events as they are.
Increasing our resilancy toward our financial health is an 'imparative' these days. A typical yearly saving of $2300, that some feel the Elio would provide, would go a long way to improving many people's lives.
For example, I have an unemployed adult child living with me. If this car were available today, he would use it as an entry level car and still be able to afford to have his baby in day care. With out that resource, he may not be able to enter the workforce for some years. Possibly not until the child is of school age.
On behalf of the current, almost 30,000 people with reservations of the Elio, and the many-many people who can't afford to risk $100 right now, but would buy one if it were for sale right now, Please lend support to Elio Motors to finance thier manufacturing operation.
As far as other makes and models of private automobiles, that kind of savings would free up money, that would in some cases be applied to buying other vehicle types. This truely is a win-win opportunity for everyone.
Please consider it. Thank you for Your time.
--me--
Automotive Researcher
BS, Industrial Technology,
Focus - Automotive Power.

Last edited:

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read somewhere on this forum or on facebook that there have been several offers for the money needed to cover production costs but that the strings attached were more than PE was willing to accept. A gov't loan (other than a full accounting of how the money is being used) would preclude those control issues from happening and PE would be free to carry out his vision without outside influences. The ATVM loan could be the best thing for Elio Motors if only restricted funds are available at the present time.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did Elio move up the date??
Google alert
The first article references the end of this year. Although I think the second is more accurate.

http://thenextdigit.com/10663/tiny-wheeled-elio-set-revolutionize-streets/
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140816/NEWS90/140819877/-1/NEWS
Regarding the second link, the article seems a little careless. Is Mr. Elio's name really Pablo? Was the car "probably" named after him?
Maybe what they mean is that the company plans to reach full capacity of 250,000 cars a day by the end of 2016. That would make sense.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Regarding the second link, the article seems a little careless. Is Mr. Elio's name really Pablo? Was the car "probably" named after him?
Maybe what they mean is that the company plans to reach full capacity of 250,000 cars a day by the end of 2016. That would make sense.
I got a kick out of that too. I didn't know if the reporter got the name wrong, or if Paul told him it was named after some distant relative. I think you meant 250,000 a year, not a day.:)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The auto industry would have collapsed?
GM and Chrysler may have collapsed, NOT the auto industry.

I have to wonder how many people here would or did write letters to save GM / Chrysler ?

Right now Paul/Elio is the innocent underdog. Should Elio in 10 years be bigger than Microsoft, everyone will have an equal disdain.
The auto industry may well have collapsed in the U.S... If GM and Chrysler both went under, most suppliers would follow and that would have either killed Ford or caused them to use more expensive options... Not to mention the effect on the economy from all the lost jobs if you include all the suppliers. Of course, we can what-if this to death or talk about how dumb or how great Obama's policies are but I like to think that the world's top experts were involved in making those decisions and I am in no way qualified to claim I would have made a better decision. I can complain, of course, and I won't buy products from either manufacturer since they've proven to be unable to manage their own companies. ...and, I'm done. Thank you for this diversion.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got a kick out of that too. I didn't know if the reporter got the name wrong, or if Paul told him it was named after some distant relative. I think you meant 250,000 a year, not a day.:)
That's what I get for writing ANYTHING early in the morning. But Elio plans to start up at 250-300 cars per day. If it's 300, and they run 360 days, that's 109,500 cars a year. They can obviously ramp up way beyond that as they really get going, so 250,000 cars per year is probably low -- if they succeed in creating that much demand for the car!

Top Bottom