• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Space In The Hood

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes they do, but normal people do not.
They reason I'm of the opinion rear opening pop-out windows should be standard is multifold:

Increased ventilation.
Psychologically they calm the rear passenger. (They won't feel trapped as much.)
In a wreck a pop-out window that is on hinges could be removed by passers-by.
While the idea of pop-out rear windows is interesting, I would vote against it, for several reasons.

First: The Elio is not intended to routinely carry two people. It is first and foremost a single-passenger commuter that just happens to have a rear seat in case it is needed. It is not a carpool or family vehicle. Adding $20-30 worth of time and materials, even assuming you could do it for that little, for a feature that only a very few would ever really need, goes against the whole idea of the Elio. Give people the minimum that they need to get the job done. Everything else is an added-cost, a la carte option. This is an "only the essentials" budget vehicle, not a luxury long-distance cruiser.

Second: Have you seen how small those windows are? A normal adult probably couldn't squeeze through one. It would only be good for a child or very small adult. That picture of Paul sticking out the back hatch shows a tight squeeze. Paul's not exactly a big guy, and those side windows are both smaller, and triangular.

Third: Removed by passers-by? How easily do you imagine that these would be removed? If they could be removed that easily to gain access to the vehicle, they'd be a big security risk, and I wouldn't want them anyway. It's already easy enough for someone to break into a car, no reason to give the casual thief another easy way to get into my car that is not immediately visible.

Fourth: If the car is wrecked and they need to get someone out, rescue crews are VERY WELL equipped to deal with the situation. They will cut that car apart like it was made from rotten twigs. And they do it fast. I've seen live demos of those cutters where they chopped a car into itty bitty pieces. Yanking someone out through a tiny side window could be dangerous if the person has suffered injuries.

IMNSHO, this whole thing about opening rear windows and using them as an escape hatch is a manufactured crisis with no basis in reality. A tempest in a teapot. They could offer it as an option for anyone who really wants it, and those people could pay the price, if they thought it was really worth paying. I know I would almost certainly not buy it.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
While the idea of pop-out rear windows is interesting, I would vote against it, for several reasons.

First: The Elio is not intended to routinely carry two people. It is first and foremost a single-passenger commuter that just happens to have a rear seat in case it is needed. It is not a carpool or family vehicle. Adding $20-30 worth of time and materials, even assuming you could do it for that little, for a feature that only a very few would ever really need, goes against the whole idea of the Elio. Give people the minimum that they need to get the job done. Everything else is an added-cost, a la carte option. This is an "only the essentials" budget vehicle, not a luxury long-distance cruiser.

Second: Have you seen how small those windows are? A normal adult probably couldn't squeeze through one. It would only be good for a child or very small adult. That picture of Paul sticking out the back hatch shows a tight squeeze. Paul's not exactly a big guy, and those side windows are both smaller, and triangular.

Third: Removed by passers-by? How easily do you imagine that these would be removed? If they could be removed that easily to gain access to the vehicle, they'd be a big security risk, and I wouldn't want them anyway. It's already easy enough for someone to break into a car, no reason to give the casual thief another easy way to get into my car that is not immediately visible.

Fourth: If the car is wrecked and they need to get someone out, rescue crews are VERY WELL equipped to deal with the situation. They will cut that car apart like it was made from rotten twigs. And they do it fast. I've seen live demos of those cutters where they chopped a car into itty bitty pieces. Yanking someone out through a tiny side window could be dangerous if the person has suffered injuries.

IMNSHO, this whole thing about opening rear windows and using them as an escape hatch is a manufactured crisis with no basis in reality. A tempest in a teapot. They could offer it as an option for anyone who really wants it, and those people could pay the price, if they thought it was really worth paying. I know I would almost certainly not buy it.
Do it for circulation ........ Isn't this why the Elio is at RedDot? An HVAC system designed specifically for the Elio. Plus HVAC = Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning which is included as standard equipment.
When the conversation started about opening rear windows, one of my first comments was "use the Search feature; this is a well hashed out topic that has been discussed from every possibility" did anyone go Search? I kind of doubt it.
Everything that has been said here has already been covered; how do I know, I used the Search function and on a simple search came up with 200 pages of results!
Here's some examples
6-15-2016
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-accessories.7371/page-7#post-151393

5-15-16
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/how-many-options-will-em-be-offering.7240/page-6#post-147240

9-19-16
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/mods-and-accessories-section.6432/page-5#post-117593

8-18-15
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/i...thing-i-would-change.6422/page-16#post-113688

11-25-14
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/tell-all-your-friends-the-50-bonus-is-back.5183/page-6#post-69085

And it had the option to load more.

Ok, I feel better; I just felt like VENTING!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Q: Is there enough room for a adult, to fold down rear seat so they could exit via the hatch?
Although the front seat is comfortable and sized for just about everyone, the rear seat would be, due to such little room provide enough space to even climb to the hatch. We have to remember just how small the rear area is.
Although I do recall Paul sticking his head out the rear

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Q: Is there enough room for a adult, to fold down rear seat so they could exit via the hatch?
Although the front seat is comfortable and sized for just about everyone, the rear seat would be, due to such little room provide enough space to even climb to the hatch. We have to remember just how small the rear area is.
Although I do recall Paul sticking his head out the rear

Are you adding a tub of Crisco to ride in the trunk as part of this option ? :D

I seriously doubt it's able to be done by anyone but the narrow shouldered, children, and the height-challenged.

Top Bottom