• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Spare Tire Questions

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if there is room next to the back tire to slide a narrow space-saver up in that area? It would have to be on the lug side of the wheel so as to not interfere with the swing arm...BTW, why didn't they put the rear wheel lugs on the curb side? Then, if you did have a flat on the back, you would be further away from traffic.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if there is room next to the back tire to slide a narrow space-saver up in that area? It would have to be on the lug side of the wheel so as to not interfere with the swing arm...BTW, why didn't they put the rear wheel lugs on the curb side? Then, if you did have a flat on the back, you would be further away from traffic.
Not saying that I want it this way, but for safety; why didn't they put the door on the passenger side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I for one have no issues with the vehicle not having a spare. I have not had a flat or needed a spare in any of my vehicles since I was 17 and running used Bias ply tires on my '77 LTDII. The excursion down the railroad tracks doesn't really count as a tire failure, more of operator error to put it mildly.

The other issue is what spare to carry? The front tire profile in the latest pics very much have a motorcycle tire profile, and it appears to be a small automotive type tire on the back. This would make sense as a smaller contact patch will increase fuel economy (at the expense of handling, I'm guessing the new design has a bit of push built in).

A little off topic (because they don't make on highway spec products) but interesting none the less; If it does use motorcycle tires up front I may be contacting these guys http://www.tireballs.com/ to see how they hold up in highway use where higher tire temps will come into play. I use these on my dirt bikes and quads. They balance out just fine and keep me playing in the dirt while my buddies struggle with fixing flats on the trails. They are reusable, transferable, etc. so could outlast the life of the vehicle. Just a neat system, but expensive. It would be fun to experiment with how they work as a run-flat system on a tubeless highway tire.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is my OPTION:
134778_400x400.jpg

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not saying that I want it this way, but for safety; why didn't they put the door on the passenger side?

Paul Elio said in a interview, "The door was placed on the left, because most of us are accustomed to the shift controls being on the right", If they were on the left, (the shift controls) everything would have to be reversed. Including the door.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio said in a interview, "The door was placed on the left, because most of us are accustomed to the shift controls being on the right", If they were on the left, (the shift controls) everything would have to be reversed. Including the door.

Makes sense. Besides, I'm more comfortable with that anyways. It was actually an observation my seven-year-old daughter had made. She said, " dad you can't take me to school in that car because the door is on the wrong side."

Scott Miller

Elio Fan
Reaction score
AAA is the answer. I have been super impressed with them. Not just for flats...but discounts, unlocks, towing, travel material, travel protection and other services. I have Premier for the wife and I. With discounts I get at a variety of places, I typically net zero or close to it on the dues. Oh, and one other thing. If you are traveling with a buddy in their car and they get a flat...you guessed it...AAA has your back.

As always, your mileage may vary...

Top Bottom