• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Spare Tire Questions

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned the lack of a spare tire as well when I was talking to them. I think a can of fix a flat and maybe a plug kit is a good/cheap idea. And I'll second those saying AAA is well worth it. We have the Premier membership and it's payed for itself many times over with the issues we've had in the past year.

One question though....when it comes to towing a broken down Elio...what new issues are there to consider and what special tools/equipment will be needed to tow one?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned the lack of a spare tire as well when I was talking to them. I think a can of fix a flat and maybe a plug kit is a good/cheap idea. And I'll second those saying AAA is well worth it. We have the Premier membership and it's payed for itself many times over with the issues we've had in the past year.

One question though....when it comes to towing a broken down Elio...what new issues are there to consider and what special tools/equipment will be needed to tow one?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Probably the same way they tow a Can-Am Spider

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably the same way they tow a Can-Am Spider

See I'm not familiar with how they tow that either. But yes, must be similar. However, the Spider has access points all over the place. With the Elio it looks like you could hook/strap on to the front wheel/axle area. Not sure if that's a good solid point to carry it by though. Other than that you'd need to take the front wheel covers off.

Towing it from the rear, no clue. And if you use a tow-dolly (or anything other than a flatbed), it looks like you'd scrape the rear wheel housing.

-Emt1581

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Thanks

-Emt1581
Hi and Welcome from Oregon, emt1581. We have another new member on here who can probably answer your question. 1towman is exactly what his name implies - he tows vehicles. That is one of the advantages of this forum over and above the entertainment and just plain fun value. We meet a lot of people with a lot of experience and knowledge in different areas. I am sure almost any questions we have can be answered by someone on this forum. Then all you have to do is decide whether you trust the answer. LOL I hope you enjoy this forum and the wondrous adventure of this journey to Elio ownership. Next year in our Elios! :-) Z

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you enjoy this forum and the wondrous adventure of this journey to Elio ownership. Next year in our Elios! :) Z

Thanks! And funny you should mention the time frame... Originally all the vids/statements were saying June of 14. Then I saw August of 14. Then December of 14. Now I'm seeing no months given and just "some time in 15".

I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be the Kel-Tec of the auto-world! For those of you not into guns, Kel-Tec is a firearms manufacturer based out of Florida. They have excellent imagination and some really amazing guns...but they love to throw an idea out to consumers and then perpetually push back their release date. Years to a decade is the norm for them.

-Emt1581

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks

-Emt1581

I will have to search for the reference however I do remember Elio Motors did once directly respond to the tow truck question. They said the front end could be lifted and secured and the rear tire could just trail along on the ground as it normally does as long as the parking brake is off.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have to search for the reference however I do remember Elio Motors did once directly respond to the tow truck question. They said the front end could be lifted and secured and the rear tire could just trail along on the ground as it normally does as long as the parking brake is off.

Oh ok. Hmm...it would be interesting to see one photoshopped with a tow truck just to see the angle in regard to the attachment points, rear cover/bumper and the surface of the road. Again, I'm thinking a bump or two would mean damage.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Top Bottom