• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While a tilt and slide moonroof would be nice, it's probably not worth the cost because it would be so small.

But there's another consideration: heat transfer. The sun beating down on that window will turn the cabin, particularly that front seat, into a broiler very quickly. This effect can be offset by a reflective, insulated shade that can be drawn beneath the glass to exclude as musn as 95% of the heat from the cabin. A ceramic tint can also help reject heat from the moonroof and the side windows to give the AC a chance uner summer's sun.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on the $650 leather seat, $750 leather with heat, and $850 for 6-way leather heat and powered seats as identified in the survey.

I was doing a bit of research as to what it might cost to get a leather cover to make my own leather seat from the stock fabric seat and it doesn't look to me that it would be any cheaper to do it that way. Lots of kits seem to come in at about that price for the leather alone. Is there something I'm missing?

I also got to wondering about the ongoing discussions of how EM might handle shipping seats between the factory and the prep centers and I realized that if all they did at the prep centers was re-cover the seat with leather there wouldn't be any need to ship seats back to the factory.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on the $650 leather seat, $750 leather with heat, and $850 for 6-way leather heat and powered seats as identified in the survey.

I was doing a bit of research as to what it might cost to get a leather cover to make my own leather seat from the stock fabric seat and it doesn't look to me that it would be any cheaper to do it that way. Lots of kits seem to come in at about that price for the leather alone. Is there something I'm missing?

I also got to wondering about the ongoing discussions of how EM might handle shipping seats between the factory and the prep centers and I realized that if all they did at the prep centers was re-cover the seat with leather there wouldn't be any need to ship seats back to the factory.
"Lots of kits seem to come in at about that price for the leather alone. Is there something I'm missing?" that's the key word; LOTS and lots of kits means bigger and bigger discounts on pricing.
I would have to see the leather, if it was quarter hide, I'd have to take a pass on it; and that's another way they make them cheaper; a quarter hide means that it has been worked enough that it's a 1/4 of the thickness it started out as. It's backed, but it's still a very thin hide.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Smart Tint cut-to-fit film for custom automotive install.
That's pretty cool stuff; I don't know if it would be legal while operating the vehicle, but when it's parked, it could come in very handy.
It's also not cheap. For a car, it's around $53 per section; plus the electronics and labor time to install. Other types of it are priced $180.00 to $220.00 per square meter, plus the electronics. I couldn't find a price on the electronics stuff

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While a tilt and slide moonroof would be nice, it's probably not worth the cost because it would be so small.

But there's another consideration: heat transfer. The sun beating down on that window will turn the cabin, particularly that front seat, into a broiler very quickly. This effect can be offset by a reflective, insulated shade that can be drawn beneath the glass to exclude as musn as 95% of the heat from the cabin. A ceramic tint can also help reject heat from the moonroof and the side windows to give the AC a chance uner summer's sun.
3M makes a clear film that reduces heat transfer.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/

Top Bottom