• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What happens if your throttle gets stuck and you can't stop the car? with a key I can turn it off.
You still have an on/off button, don't you? The keyless Fords and Chevys I looked at did.

You might need some type of power down sequence if your driving over a certain speed though. You'd hate to wreck because the off button was hit accidentally.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You still have an on/off button, don't you? The keyless Fords and Chevys I looked at did.

You might need some type of power down sequence if your driving over a certain speed though. You'd hate to wreck because the off button was hit accidentally.

How about a simple key mounted in the dashboard that, which when turned to the off position, d-energizes the ignition system.
It seems like we are giving total control to computers.
To err is human! To really screw things up takes a computer!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What happens if your throttle gets stuck and you can't stop the car? with a key I can turn it off.
Considering the throttle is computer-controlled as well, it wouldn't get "stuck". If the computer locked up or ceased functioning, then it would stop sending an accelleration signal to the engine. Most computer programming is designed to "stop on malfunction" as a safeguard against situations like runaway accelleration.
That is not to say that malfunctions will never happen. But another advantage to computer-control, is that you can stress-test computers without them being physically plugged into a moving vehicle, whereas mechanical systems can only be tested while in use. Remember that huge GM recall a couple years ago, when keys were getting nudged out of the ignition due to a manufacturing defect? Cars lost power and careened off the road because of no power steering/power brake assist. At least with computers, you can test the programming in a virtual environment before deploying the technology into the real world.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

The sequence is, press on the start button, and hold it in for at least 5 seconds. (The time varies depending on the make and model; some are less)

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wireless key entry and start.
Access your car through your phone.

Good thing that these thing can't be used to steal a car....

If the FBI can't hack an iPhone's encryption without the help of a world-class network security team, then I'm not worried about somebody casually stealing a phone-authorized car.

Top Bottom